Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year!

I took my chances with all the drunks on the roads early this morning. Abandoned, stalled and wrecked cars everywhere and some police activity at Rundberg (where else, lol). I made it safely to Holiday Inn and launched around 6:00AM.

I started off fishing some of the steeper banks with Texas Rig beaver. I was getting light nips and going full send snagging only water. When I finally boated one I saw why I was missing so many. The peanut went maybe six inches. First fish of ‘23 and its a real cutie-pie. When it was light enough, I switched to hard baits. I tried the yozuri jerkbait for a couple dozen casts and got a good’un to follow it but he wouldn’t eat it. A dense fog moved in and covered up the skyline, making me optimistic about my chances.

I tried the honey hole at Congress with the jika rig and had a couple fish throw the hook, doh! I tried the hard baits some more, but there was a lot of floating grass and other flotsam. I went on up to Seaholm and nothing was biting. In desperation I switched to drop shot and still crickets. The low clouds shrouded the sun and a chilly breeze blew across the water, so I fished with my new fishing gloves.

I made my way back down lake trying to figure out where these wily fish could be. I tossed the beaver at some wort over a cypress knee and got struck. I slammed back and got a bend in the rod, finally! I looked in the water and I could see the fish was barely hooked, the fine wire EWG hooked through maybe an 1/8” of skin. I dared not swing it, so I reached down and lipped the first fun-fish of the New Year. And that’s it folks. Two fish. I’ll try again tomorrow. Off at 12:00PM.
Water Smile Fish Fisherman Lake

· Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At Lady Bird, S or SE means its coming right down the fetch, but it doesn’t get dangerous. Like anywhere, much over ten and there’s bow in your line and your casts are a little off target.

Metaphorically speaking, I’m in the same boat as far as where to go. Tomorrow, the wind and storm chance looks a little dicey to be traveling much further than the local mud-hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts