Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gestalt. Sublime. Eminent. Idyllic. How else could I write the report?

I was ready to fish this morning. I arrived at the lake early. Conditions? Moon overhead, WT=81°F, crystal clear clarity, light and variable wind, overcast. OMG.

I portaged the Pond Prowler to open water and trolled over to the big mat. I was prepared to throw topwater, TR and WW. Could this really be THE topwater morning? Yesterday, I reported that Todd missed a blow-up (or the fish missed his lure, depending on who tells the story.) That was the only blow-up we got in an otherwise fun fishing trip.

Today, I got over thirty blow-ups. In-fucking-credible. Mostly cookie-cutter fun-fish, and I got more than half of them to the boat. Several good'uns in the mix. I had an absolute giant kill the spook, pull off and bury it five feet in the 'drilla. I was dismayed to lose that big'un, but its all in a day's fishing.

The topwater bite stayed golden for TWO hours. I was giddy with joy. Its been several years since I had it this good. After 8am, the sun burned through the overcast and the fish sounded. Time to enshrine the spook and move on to the senko.

I worked the edges with WW 5" Yamasenko and TR Ol' Monster. I was catching fish both ways, so fish were feeding on top, bottom and in-between. The low lake level exposed an otherwise covered isolated grass patch growing from a hump. I drifted over and made a couple casts with TR BBH. I trolled around the hump and threw at the north side. My boat was still moving so I pushed the thumb bar to play out some line and all heck broke loose.

A powerful fish pulled the line, reminiscent of a King Mackerel strike! I was free spooling with my right hand on the tiller, so I clamped the spool with my left thumb and swung, praying for a good hookset. I got my right hand on the reel handle and cranked. My rod bent and the drag squealed. What the...

This caught the interest of several nearby 'yakkers, one of whom closed course to intercept and assist. The fish had found its way back into the 'drilla, but I got on top of him and pulled straight-up bringing grass and fish to hand. I lipped the big'un and the mangled hook fell out. Yeah, buddy!

After I released the bass (five-and-a-half pounds according to Vance's scale), I had to anchor up and chill out for a little while. Once I regained my composure, I heaved anchor and drifted around catching more bass on WW. Exceptional day on an exceptional lake. I love this mud-hole! Happy Labor Day!
IMG_20180903_074139571.jpg
IMG_20180903_074544458_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_101515205.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Grumbling incoherently to myself, I didn’t even get the honey do list done.

Wish I would have been a part of the festivities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts