Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit LA on Friday evening from 3p to 6p and caught 3 dinks and the back of the boat caught his first keeper bass on a cenko after 20+ misses over a few trips. Hit LA again on Saturday morning from 6a to 9a and I was skunked and the back of the boat caught 3 dinks. Hit LA again on Sunday evening from 7p to 8:30p and caught a 2lber and a 3lber. The 2 was at the edge of the reeds just south of 360 bridge and the 3 was at the bluffs across from the bridge. Hit LA again on Monday afternoon from 1p to 8p and only caught 7 LMB with a 2lb and a 2.5lb being the largest. Overall, lots of dinks, no real pattern (as usual), but still the chance to pull in a hawg. I wanted to try the swimbait along the grasslines, but I'm addicted to the WW and never pulled out the swimbait.

On another note, it was not too recent that I went to TPWD's website to verify that I was up to boat safety code. I maticulously checked avery item off the list. Even updating my Fire extinguisher and Horn. HOWEVER, I had a Cedric Benson type event occur. I was pulled over immediately (within 20 yeards of 360 bridge) on Monday at 1p. He pulled me over for the colors of my stickers were not contrasting enough. I have a faded maroon streak on my boat (1990 variety) with black stickers. I could see these very clearly, but he said they did not contrast enough. I asked what color should I use, and he said very confrontational like, "I don't know you tell me what you should do." He proceeded to give me a safety check and I had everything; certificate of #, horn, fire extinguisher, proper # of life jackets, throw cushion, etc. He wasn't satisfied with the jackets and throw cushion because they didn't have a tag on them. The tag must read coast guard approved. He proceeded to kick me off the lake, which we did very respectfully and went to Academy. $27 and an hour and a half later we were back on the boat (with white stickers on the side). Also, I get the pleasure of taking a boaters education course. This being the first ticket of my life, and specifically going to TPWD and doing everything to spec, I would have expected for him to give me a warning and instruct me to update my jackets and change the lettering to white. I don't understand why he felt it was necessary to give me a ticket. I understand policy, but I was respectful, cooperative, and clearly attempted to be up to code. No wonder they get a bad rap.

At any rate, we were able to set it aside and go have a good day on the lake. Isn't that what it is all about.

Oh yeah, thanks Kevin for the tips yesterday at Academy! I like the new WW rig. Cheers>>>>

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Their TAX colectors, nothing more. Their revenue is deminishing and they have to get it anywhere they can.

·
Registered
162 Posts
R38305 sorry to hear about the ticket, That same thing happened to me to the T. I also got the same response as you did when asking the same questions you did. We actually posted my pics before and after the ticket. I have a brown/gold boat. Before I had black letters. After the ticket I had to change to white letters. Unlike you I just payed the $178 fine but even at the court house they also agreed that this was a misinterpretation of the law. Since the rule states: The color of the numbers must contrast the color of the boat. Well the only color black doesn't contrast is: BLACK. But to be honest after looking at mine white was a better/smarter option for better visiability. Atleast your getting the word out and making everyone aware of what the lake police are looking for as I did when it happened to me. There just trying to keep the lake safe for all. I would also agree this did not warrant a ticket unless your numbers were incorrect.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Was that TPWD that pulled you over or APD? Either way, they shouldn't be hassling fisherman. I was on LA sunday night and damn near ran over a wake brd boat that decided to take a left turn across the lake. Did he bother turning his beady little head around to see if anyone was behind him? Oh hell no, he just went, I pulled the horn out and gave him a shout out.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually glad that I now know that I am up to code and certainly respect what they do for us, but I'd like to think the police could use some judgement. Instead, he had a chip on his shoulder and it seemed that he couldn't believe that I'd have the audacity to come out on the lake without tags on the inside of my life jackets. The white letters are indeed more visible, but the new coast guard approved life jackets don't hold me up as well as my older ones :-/

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interestingly, I found out that you are able to have an open container in the boat and able to drink while driving the boat if you are not intoxicated. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I didn't know about the online course. I prob would have done that. But I took a whole day to drive out to the courthouse which was on the other side of Oak Hill and I live in Round Rock. I decided one trip was enough for me and I work nights. So when you decide to fight it they will assign you a day in court. I didn't want to have to possibly take a day off so I just payed the fine and walked away from the whole thing and went out the next day. I could have been fishing that day had I knew I could just mail the payment in. I went up there with pics before and after, ready to talk to the judge, I didn't know they would assign a day. Good luck either way. Hope you fight it and beat it I'm just too lazy and want to be on the lake any chance I can get...d

·
Registered
9,803 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Take him to trial at municipal court the judges there are VERY liberal you could probally win it. I have to go at 8 pm in a couple of weeks and have had to be there at 8 am before so they have lots of flexible hours. If you ever feel that you are in the right go to trial. One tip do research and when you present your case basea it on the law don't attack the officer. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Funny one happened to me. Was fishing with Jukebox about a month ago or so on an ABF night. Was halted fishing from the TPWD guy. Said my stickers were in the wrong place. Funny thing they were up to code, but I kindly laid down on the deck and asked him where I should put them. Funny thing was he was doing all this from about 50 yards away. Yelling at me halfway across the lake. Oh well, didn't get a ticket. Some guys just have to have something to do.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yesterday my friend and i took our dogs to commons ford park to swim and just hang out by the lake. as soon as we got down to the water a cop on a boat drove by. he proceed to turn around and drive back over to the park where we were at. he beached his boat and started hollering at us to come over to us. we went over and he started asking why our dog was not on the leash. I told him that i live in the neighbor hood and nobody out here puts their dogs on leashes. then pointed out an old lady that was down there with her 2 small dogs. he told me that he cant get them all. then wrote my friend a ticket for my dog and his. so, now i have to split this ticket with my friend.

everyday there are about 20 dogs running around out there. there were no wake boats to mess with so he had to get a ticket somewhere.

I hate most cops. every once in a while you will meet a cool one, but for the most part they suck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I challenge every ticket in town and out of town when possible. Request trial by jury and almost always it is dismissed because the officer did not show. In Austin it has worked for me everytime. They would rather have them in the field writting tickets than waiting in a court room. Just a thought... if you got the time try it.

It always works if you get a ticket from a motor cycle officer.

I also requested a trial by jury in Three Rivers for a burned out boat trailer light. I sent them a letter requesting a trial and they said they would not have jurors set through a trial like that and so she dismissed the ticket.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah no problem see you there again some time. Yeah some cops are like that. At the end of my street my sister got a ticket for running a Yeild sighn on a residential street still have yet to fig tha one out. I was in the car and we had to come to a stop to wait for a car to go by but what ever.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The cops on Lk Austin are either really cool or total jerks. I had one kick me off the lake because he said my anchor light wasn't tall enough. I looked at it and the rest of the boat and said "it's the tallest thing on the boat, thats what the regs call for" he replied " it's not taller than you when you are standing on the front deck, get off the lake now or I will ticket you" Since then I asked a game warden about it and he said the cop was just a jerk and totally wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.