Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had put together a spreadsheet last year just to take a look at what hour would be a good hour to weigh in if I was fishing this T. The numbers were quite interesting.

If someone could tell me how to post the spreadsheet on here I will post it. The summary is as follows:

Year Ttl weight Avg Weight
2002 80.16 3.34
2003 95.53 3.98
2004 91.87 3.83
2005 100.65 4.19
2006 112.49 4.69
2007 133.93 5.58

Keep in mind, these are just the fish that won the money. So top 3 from each hour. Ttl weight is divided by 24 fish to get Avg Weight

Every year except for 2004 the weights have gone up. This year took a huge leap by almost a pound average. :eek:

·
Administrator
1,530 Posts
Another reason in my opinion to stress that the grass in the lake not be eradicated. As the grass dies out (thru carp and drawdowns), the bass will go to the only stucture left......docks and what grass is left. These big fish will be picked off put in the Target bag for a trip to Lake Crisco. The genes of the big fish will degrade, and we'll end up with LTS.

As the abundance of the grass has dropped year over year, the weights have steadily gone up. I don't think the anglers are that much better (older maybe). The number of entries in the tourney has gone gown also.

With the amount of info being shared on the net, more fishermen are hitting the same areas and using the same techniques (SWAMP D!!). All the more reason for the anglers to push for the preservation of the habitat, limits on boat size, and wake size. The City of Austin said they would push for revegetation with native species after the eradication of the hyrilla. Don't hold your breath on that one.

The lake visibility never cleared up this year, even before the rains.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Alan. I've been fishing Lake Austin for 8 years now, and I've seen the hyrilla come and go. Before hydrilla was a problem there was lots of milfoil, but now most of that is gone, except on the very north end of the lake. The hyrilla has been very sparse this year as well. The result has been stained water all year, and in my opinion the start of a decline in the quality of fishing.

From what I've seen, the numbers of big fish has gone up. But like Alan said, that is because they are all forced to congregate in a few small areas now. Also, the ratio of under fish to decent keepers seems to have increased. Austin is beginning to fish like travis, where you go out and catch 3 swimmers for every keeper. I used to go out and get a solid limit of healthy fish consistently on Austin. Now it's very hit or miss.

Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic, but the abundance of good grass is what seperates Lake Austin from other lakes. With fishing pressure at an all time high, the grass at an all time low, and the same number of grass carp and yearly drawdowns, I don't see Lake Austin being the quality bass lake its come to be known for in the comming years. I hope that the recent trend of losing all of the good grass patches changes soon.

G

·
This really makes me sad! Mainly because I'm still brand new to Austin and Lake Austin Bass fishing! What keeps me going out there time and time again is the search for a trophy fish. Not to keep the fish to release with the flush of the toilet but to keep the fish in my memory and a few pictures. Maybe a replica on the wall. One thing I was very impressed with is the bass fishing program that the state of Texas has. I would hate to see Lake Austin be ruined over the fact that 'grass' is considered a nuisance to the skiier's and wakeboarders, etc. Just my .02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.