Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Ive been viewing for awhile first entry. Fished the re-fill today with my dad caught 6 with the largest about 6 lbs. Fished yesterday by myself caught 15 with big fish around 6. It's amazing how much water they added in 24 hrs. Thats fine and good but I have a problem :mad: :mad: :mad:. We dropped at 360 in a borrowed canoe and pattled downstream to fish a little draw that I like. The wind picked up and our little canoe was quite unstable. We picked up 4 fish at the little drainage and continued down the lake further with no success. I made mention to my father that we should return to the drainage and fish it slower since fish were in and out of the area. We returned and I told pop that we should beach the canoe at that spot to fish and give our backs and legs a break. As we prepared to beach our canoe a guy that was working on a pier five lots down came running down to us and told us to get the hell off of his property. Now I'm a nice guy and my father is onr of the nicest guys I've ever met so I said okay we'll get back in the boat. The guy continued to chastise us and I began to get bothered as he continued I told him okay we're going but quit yelling at us your beginning to piss me off. Now I'm thirty and my dad is sixty and I'm not a small guy I'm almost six foot in good shape and weigh about 275 pounds. this guy appeared to be pushing sixty and preceeded to get in my face screaming obcenities at me. So we backed off the shore and caught two 6 lbers right in front of him. Now heres my problem. Who actually owns that land, I know he didn't but I don't either. My father is an avid fisherman (as I) has owned a house on Lake Limestone for years and unknown times people have fished out of our front yard even off our pier and around it numerable times I can't even fathom acting that way but regardless the world is full of ---holes. Now on limestone any land short of they highwater mark is public land and it is controlled by the BRA. Hence you have to permit your pier. it is private property on public land. Now I'm mad who knows how many more times I'll be able to go fishing with my father (it took an act of God) to get off work today and this guy had to ruin it. I'm sure that in an old canoe (borrowed from a friend) it didn't look like we have much or that i can pull many strings in this town. But this guy likely hasn't heard the end of this. ;) So back to the original qst. Who owns the exposed beach? You can bet this guys gonna find out when I do. If I could have unloade my bass boat or hi center console it would never be a problem but next year I wanna fish the drawdown again and I want to be prepared as we all should. Any advice or websites will be helpfull. Thanks all

·
Registered
551 Posts
The spot where yall beached the boat, would it have water on it if the lake wasnt drawn down? If it would normally have water on it than it is LCRA property. The lake and/or lake bed if there isnt water at the time is LCRA property. I know this because we have a house out on Lake Buchanan. In our cove there is an an area which must have been an indian campsite at one time. There is arrowheads and pieces of flint everywhere....flint isnt something you see around Buchanan. During the drought one day there was two or three guys out digging for arrowheads and I mean DIGGING. LCRA pulled up and wrote them all up because that was not their property to be digging. So if you were in the Lake Bed then you werent on that guys property or any other individuals...you were on LCRA's property. Either way the guy had not reason to yell at you and throw a fit, asking you kindly to leave would have been enough. Some of the home owners out there are not real friendly I have been yelled at for fishing a couple different docks out the.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spot where we beached was on an area with bulkheads and the water was probably60 to seventy feet from the bulkhead. the area had piers and the piers werent even in the water it was definantly lake bed and I thought that what you were saying was true the LRCA owns all that land but is it for public use? I always try to practice the tread lightly train of thought we as fisherman and hunters are often labeled as ignorant hillbillies and I try to be polite and respect peoples wishes but this guy really got under my skin. Thanks for the input I think youre certaintly right.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It’s sad to see that there are people like that around. I have heard, and I cannot confirm this, but legally his property ends 6 feet out from the full shoreline. In his defense he probably has had some bad experiences with drunken kids and irresponsible boaters, but that doesn’t give him the right to be a prick.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ben although im not sure about this I will state it anyways. Im assuming that since the area is usually for public use  (ie: boats can run on top of it) then whats the problem with walking on it. People have been walking the "lake bed" for the whole drawdown without a problem whats the difference in this case? I think the guy was in the wrong. Its just like fishing dock or marinas, although the dock or marina is the property of the landowner and you shouldnt trespass on it that individual has no rights to the water around or underneath the dock or marina.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ha ha lunker I cant say the thought didnt cross my mind and it was most enjoyable to land a couple of big boys right in front of him. And Aggie I appreciate your words of wisdom despite your questionable choice of schools :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Have a question about LCRA or about its various operations, facilities or programs? Write us at ASK LCRA, Attn: John Williams, LCRA Corporate Communications, P.O. Box 220 (L 123), Austin, Texas 78767. Or e-mail us your question at [email protected].

This includes questions about land ownership - there are some hints on this link that lend me to believe you were on public land and not in the wrong.  http://www.lcra.org/asklcra/august.html

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually sent an e-mail to that link earlier before I started the topic on the forum. I am interested to know what the LRCA has to say about it. I'm quite certain in the fact that it is public land and that the land certaintly isn't private. Thanks to all for the help I really enjoyed fishing the drawdown this year and would really like to do it more in years to come. I guess you can never have to many boats Ha now I just need one I can carry. If anyone ever heads northeast to lake limestone shoot me an e-mail. I can give some good tips. I grew up fishing the lake every weekend. White and catfish you wouldnt believe, Largemouth are very on and off but fun for all

·
Registered
683 Posts
Found this as well...

Q: I have a question or comment about recreational activities on Lake Austin or Lady Bird Lake.

A: The City of Austin has jurisdiction over these two lakes and sets any regulations or restrictions affecting recreation on these lakes. You can e-mail the City’s Parks and Recreation Department, or call the department at (512) 974-6700.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You might contact Texas Parks & Wildlife as well.  I had a run in as a kid with a pistol brandishing landowner on a river in San Angelo.  We fished down the river to the dam then got out of the boat and fished the fast water below the dam just as we had for years.  This yahoo came down pointing his pistol demanding that we release HIS fish and get the hell off of his property before we got shot.  We complied and called a game warden when we got home.  The warden went out and had a talk with the guy, and informed us that shoreline on public waters are usable for public access.  I forget exactly how many feet in from edge of the water it was exactly, but we never had any problems again.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dont let it mess up the good times you had with your father. The guy was probally in a bad mood and has had run ins with other non-respectful boaters in the past. Just blow it off and one day karma will get him for his actions. We all need to remember many of lake Austin home owners read this forum to keep up with whats going on there home lake and simply to keep up with us anglers. So we need to set an example and not stoop to his level. I am not a home owner in this area and never have had a bad experience with one. The best thing we can do is be familiar with the laws and obey them the best we can. If i was you i would find the truth to this law and simply mail it to him. This will show you are smarter than him and prove you were in the right and hopefully keep him from doing this again. Enjoy our sport and blow off others who dont. You are a good man for keeping your cool and im sure your father respects you for doing that.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I sell land and ranches for an investment company. I have seen surveys of lake property where the boundaries extend well out into the waterbody and are marked using gps. Also, on creeks and rivers, typically the centerline of the creek or river is the property line.

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
About the part where you say "get in my face screaming obcenities at me" is where he crossed the line. Feel free to call the police, take matters into your own hands or both, you have the justification...not that it matters now, but just a tip for the future.

G

·
You and everyone that fishes or hunts should have your local game wardens phone number keyed in your phone. The minute something like this happens, call the warden. Harassment of a fisherman/hunter is illegal and the harasser will receive a ticket. The jerks who think they own the lake need to be stopped. It's only getting worse!!

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Unfortunately, I believe bass-n-bay is correct on this one. I believe they own the property below the water line, down to the original creek/river bed (ie before it was dammed up) which is why they are allowed to modify and put down barriers, etc during the drawdown.

That doesn't make the guy any less of a jerk though. Sorry he hassled you guys. The thing about people like that is that they will get it back in karma and then wonder why their lives suck so much.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I actually had a guy try to hit me and my dad with a golf ball from the course there next to 360 in my older boat. Instead of Teeing off he turned around and aimed it at us a nailed the crap out it. He missed of course and i just drove on by. Still makes me a little mad to think about because if that ball had hit us it probably would have done some damage.

oh well

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.