Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Neighbor Buddy and I went this AM. Slow day and nothing on the grass. Our go-to topwater bite was dead, worming was dead, spinnerbait dead, swimbait dead, crankbait dead; grass was just not happening. Feared a skunk and even smelled one along the bank when we first started before light.

Shot down around CP and hit deeper ledges with TR plastics and got 5 in 45 minutes but had to drag up for the damn JOB! With that pattern it may have ended up a pretty good day if we could have stayed.

(1) 3lb, (3) keepers, (1) dink. None of the usual 4-6lb fish. Lost two more at the boat which were keepers as well during the 45 minutes.

Hitting at 10-15ft along sharp ledges with cover that dropped down to 25ft deep.

They're hiding but we're looking and we will find.

In summary: They were deep on us

Weemo

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Weemo,

Thanks for the report.  Sorry to hear about the slow morning. At least you got some scale on your hands at CP.  

You guys start out "up-lake"?  Thinking about putting in at Quinlan in the a.m., but if you're not getting bit on the grass, we may change ramps.

Wurm

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wurm,

I will be out tomorrow morning. I usually put in at 360, head up past QP and start in the grass early and then head back down towards 360 as the day goes on. Burns a little gas but that is the way I am running the lake right now.

I still feel that the grass is the best bet it just happened to be slow today or I just never put the right pattern together on it. Could be the lack of current lately that has slowed things up-lake. From other reports it looks like it has been slow for a week.

I have been trying the Frog in the grass everytime I go out but still no takers. I think I remember you posting that you have been trying to get a Frog Bite going but so far nothing. Same here.

Topwaters at daybreak tomorrow to start things out. Hopefully some good blowups this time.

Weemo

· Registered
1,895 Posts
WEEd MOther,

Damn man, you are on the same pattern I am on in the a.m. No love on the frog for me either; still trying though.

We'll be fishing the Quinlan docks at 6:30 tomorrow a.m. Wht/Blu Skeeter, 150 VMax on back - with 1, 2, or 3 sticks in it (depends on how many Mexi-Martinis go 'round at the In-laws house tonight). What kinda boat you gonna be in?

Anyway, stop by and say hi. We're off the water by 11, so only a few hours to fish.

Good luck,

Wurm

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wurm,

I am in the red/black Ranger 188VX with 150VMax. Will be in the same area and hope to have some love on the popper and maybe the damn Frog but I think we may have to wait until the weeds mat on the surface for the Frog to take hold.

I went frogging on a 5 acre tank at a friends ranch in Glen Rose, TX back in May. It has a ton of hydrilla and I caught 7 or 8 bass in the 4-6lb range on the frog blowing up right through the weeds. That is about as fun as it gets. :eek:

See you out there.

Weemo

· Registered
42 Posts
I took my son out for a late afternoon trip and we caught quite a few. I have been dying to try the new 7" Fluke so thats what I threw. I had it rigged with an 11/0 hook, yep an 11/0 hook! I bought them down at Falcon and never threw it down there. I should have! I caught 2 - 4 pounders and a couple more smaller ones on it before it got dark on us. I caught them in the pockets in the reeds and fished a few docks.
Caught a couple on Senkos in shallow water too. Im going to really work that big Fluke for a while and learn its ways.

· Registered
11,981 Posts
Fished 5:30-dark. Had a rough day on the water. We got battered out there and only boated 1 fish on a swimming jig with a Flapping hog trailer. Fished the 1/2 oz jig and a TR Zoom Ol Monster the entire day. Fished Deep and shallow. Rocks and Grass. Reeds and Docks. Hoped I could pull up a hog dragging the TR and the jig off of ledges. I had one nice fish slam the worm in about 15 ft of water, but it came free shortly after the hookset . :-X :-X Fished CP to quinlan. Putting in with Huntinallday tomorrow at 5:30am at 360. See you guys out there. I will be in a tan Sportsmans Warehouse hat and red shorts if anyone wants to say hi.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Topwater bite was back but real short this AM from 6:20am to about 7:00AM. Saw Wurm out there and he took some pics of the 6lb, 4lb, and 2lb on topwater over the grass.

Slowed down after that and I caught one more solid 2lber off my deep ledge before heading in early due to the early wake board traffic. Seemed much busier at 8:30am than usual. Pleasant sounds of explicit rap music biggining at 8:00am.

Off the water by 9:00.

Going back out tomorrow but I am going to change course and fish the lower end past 360. Got to keep it mixed up.

I have some of the 7" Flukes so I may throw them myself. Fished a jig on just a few casts so I may have to give it a longer chance.

Wurm, Throw those pics in here if you see this. Great to meet you and thanks for the pictures. See you soon.

ChitownLonghorn, Did not see your post until I wrote this one so I probably passed you but would have stopped if I knew. Next time.

Weemo

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
airfob,

Good use of time between towing. On the rap music, this was a song that was way over the top. I don't think you could add much to it. They did have some killer speakers.

Have fun and be safe. What a trip it would be if you caught a 12lb toad off the Wake Boat. Lot of jealous people.

Weemo

· Registered
3,573 Posts
Two weeks ago we pulled into the cove across from Hula Hut to fill our sacks and ourselves with a little liquid courage before riding...there was a topless chick floating to the left and a shady point with overhanging trees to the right.

I pick up my buddy Flyfisher's rod and hook a 4-5 lber on the third cast, fish comes up shaking its head about 20 yds from the topless chick, get the fish to the back of the boat and it comes up again and knocks the hook out on the swim deck. Put the rod down and proceeded to enjoy the scenery, I love Lake Austin!

· Registered
27 Posts
Was out on La this morning with lunkersauce this morning it was slow all morning got into my first big bass 3p 14 oz and a couple of dinks here and there gonna hit it up first thing in the am again good luck guys im in the blue and white canjun say hi if you see me heheheh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.