* Humidity: 39%
* Visibility: 10.00 miles
* Last Updated on Jul 23 2009, 8:51 pm CDT
* Camp Mabry / Austin City, TX
* NOAA's National Weather Service
* Station Id: KATT
* 2.60486 miles from location
Wind Speed: Variable at 4.6 MPH (4 KT)
Lunar Phase: New @ 1.3 days (Not Visible)

Trip Notes: Slow trip... Tried lights nearer 360, and almost got one on a top water, but nothing else worked. Finally caught one on the "northern lights", up where the trolling motor was kept busy by the current.

Total Recorded Catches: 1
  • Catch 1: Thursday July 23, 2009 11:18 PM US/Central
  • Fish: Black Bass, Largemouth Bass
  • Weight: 2 lbs. 4 oz.
  • Length: 16"
  • Bait: Plastic Minnow, Powerbait Pearl Red Eye 3" Pogy
  • Notes: Only catch tonight. Decent sized LMB. Released.

Sent from my iPhone using iFishJournal -- Fisherman's Journal App!

· Registered
342 Posts
Me & a couple of my buddies went out last night on LA also. Caught a 3lber out of the reeds and hooked on to another nice LMB on the corner of a boat dock but got off right at the boat when it jumped. It would have went about 5lbs. :mad: Caught some other dinks but that was about it. Off the water at 2 a.m. All fish were caught on a weightless senko in watermelon red.

· Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for the reports guys, awesome as usual als.

Going to be on Austin one morning early this weekend, any suggestions for patterns?

I guess the swim bait bite could be good.....I was going to try the frog again for topwater early near docks too maybe.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
574E55505E49485A4E585E1B0 said:
Your post are always very informative. but Whats going on with all the blood in all your pics it seems.
It is probably because I am always night fishing, I don't notice it much and then forget to clean it up when I am done fishing.  I had a white get hooked in such a way that it bled all over my check-it stick, and now every time it gets wet when I measure another fish it spreads...  It usually takes 3 tries to get a photo at night anyway...  Usually when I get the light good they start flopping around, or along comes a wake...

Thanks for pointing it out though...  I'll have to make sure I clean it up a bit...  I don't think I am doing anything to purposefully cause fish to bleed, sometimes they just get hooked badly.  The last one that happened to, I put in my livewell, thinking I might have to take it home for lunch, but an hour later it showed no signs of having been injured, so I released it and watched it swim away -- that was the white that left so much blood on the check-it stick.

· Registered
342 Posts
7E6B78666B690A0 said:
Thanks for the reports guys, awesome as usual als.

Going to be on Austin one morning early this weekend, any suggestions for patterns?

I guess the swim bait bite could be good.....I was going to try the frog again for topwater early near docks too maybe.
If I were going out again I would through a Senko all day. I had a bunch of bites on it and even a couple of kickers. The majority of the bites were in 5 ft or less.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
775F5E5576594358595E300 said:
If I were going out again I would through a Senko all day. I had a bunch of bites on it and even a couple of kickers. The majority of the bites were in 5 ft or less.
BTW, how are you rigging your senkos?  And, are your throwing under docks, the shoreline, reeds?  Daytime, nighttime? Thanks!  (I need more skills.)

· Registered
342 Posts
041C08273D26272029283A394E0 said:
Weightless T-Rigged IMO. Throw at the submerged grass areas, Bluffs, up against Docks. First and foremost I would target the grass though.
Exactly as Procraft said here I was using the senko texas rigged but weightless and targeting close to structure and 9 times out of ten they were right on the structure. Had more luck right up against the reeds and all caught in the evening and night. Good luck!

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent tips, thanks all.  I've tried up along the reeds (just north of 360 on the side opposite the boat ramp, and along the cove that is nearby), but haven't had much luck.  I usually leave there after dark though and search out lighted docks.  I will try weightless, T-rigged senkos next time.  In the past I've tried weighted, T-rigged rattlesnakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.