Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out at 6am yesterday and had a great day. PB and what I'll call a career day. Didn't catch anything until 8:30am. They were biting, but a real quick bite. Quickly realized that I had to set immediately. At 8:30am caught a 5 and then the next cast caught a 7 PB. 10 casts later caught a 4 and then not more than a few casts later foul hooked a 4lb catfish.

Unfortunately, my baitcaster ran out of line. It was strange the line kept coming up broken??? I had to pull out my back up zebco I keep for my guests. I latched on to a 12 and wrestled her all the way in got several jumps and shakes and even had her to the boat on several occasions. I normally have a buddy to help net, but this time I was out on my own. Couldn't quite get the net down and boom line snapped in the middle. Got way too quick with the hustle and should have been more patient. Lesson learned, going to Academy to replace line and will get back out tomorrow.

Used wacky worm all day. Best 5 - 22 pounds! I'll post some pictures once I get them off the camera. Good timing for the fish fry I had planned for today! I was getting worried their for a second I was going to have to buy the fish. Don't want to have to do that!

Btw, long time reader, but yet to make a post.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure this is as sensitive of a subject as abortion. Wyatt, you'll be happy to know that I practice catch & release except with the following:

-If I catch a lunker he is being donated. Yet to catch one.
-If I have a scheduled fish fry, I'm going to catch not buy. And btw, I don't have these too often.
-If I catch a 10-13 pounder, they are hung on the wall next to the others. Had one last year, but none yet this year.
-If I have to choose between gas or dinner, I'm going to put gas in the boat and put fish on the table.

Certainly do respect catch & release and is a good practice. However, I don't do it 100% of the time. Friday, I kept the 4,5, and 7 pounder. On Sunday, I caught a 2, 3, and a 6. All of which were thrown back.

Strangely, only latching on to good size bass during the heat of the day when they are hunkered down under heavy cover in the shade. Seem to only be at a couple of spots on LA; across from Ski Shores and up and then a little up from City Park on the same side.

Cheers and I'll someday figure out the picture posting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The thing is, if we all did what you're doing the quality of our fisheries would decline...that's why I have a problem with it and find it to be, at best, selfish. So those of us - which is most of us I believe - who practice catch and release diligently, are pretty much supporting your ability to keep some of those bass - because they wouldn't be there if myself or someone else had put them on our grill the day, week, or month before.

And every ten pounder you mount on your wall is one less ten pounder that might put a huge smile on the face of the next angler to pull that hawg out of the water. Not to mention that you cut out the possibility of it becoming something truly special - say, a 13, 14, 15, or who-knows-pounder someday (and it should be noted that sharelunkers can be put back in the lake they were caught in). You must also know that you can take several pictures of a landed fish and have a great replica made, knowing that beast is still swimming out there somewhere and also having the trophy on the wall.

I find it especially satisfying to release a good fish knowing it's career in the lake isn't over, and that it will live on to possibly be caught another day, having grown to an even more rod-bending size. There's a reason lakes in Mexico and other hard-to-get-to places have such incredible populations of bass - including unbelievable numbers of 10+ lbers...it's (at least in large part) because they aren't fished out (yet)...we could make our lakes stronger if we left the fish we caught unharmed and put them back where they belong, in the water....and yes, HEB, Central Market, and Randalls have a fine selection of ready to fry/grill/blacken fish if you've got a hankering for seafood...

No disrespect intended, just voicing my opinion on what I believe is one of the top issues in keeping a growing sport as fun as it can be...

Wyatt

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thats funny!  r38305 you might want to proof read your reports before you post them. Well put wyatt, I agree 100%. Lake austin is not the lake to go to for a fish fry. Travis is right down the road for crappie and whites, and if you want lmb to fry cruise on down to Bastrop and catch some of those schoolies. They taste better than a larger bass anyways, and you will be helping the lake.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Skeeter, the 10lb on the wall was actually caught by my brother. I like to take partial credit since he was on my boat, using my rod, and helped net. But not really caught by me. My Grandma passed away sick that we didn't hang the 5 lber on the wall that my Grandfather and I caught. We never caught another one in KY, but LA has been fun catching 5,6, and 7's. I'm desperately wanting to catch a 10+.

I respect everyones opinions on catch & release. Unfortunately, I was raised to keep a few & enjoy. I do prefer bluegill, crappie, and whites. Again, it's not too often that I keep large bass. Another valid point is that LA is just not that big. I've often been curious about how many bass are in the lake 10+.

I've seen where people have referenced the misc section for posting picture instructions. I can't find the section. Any help would be appreciated. And sorry for being so stubborn on the catch & release, but I'm certainly receptive to changing my philsophies based on your comments. Thanks Wyatt! Cheers!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is basically a repeat of the 4/30/06 post titled Meadows Lake by doctordale. This will argument will live on. Thanks for keeping it above the belt. I think I've learned my lesson.

Okay, back to looking for the 13 pounder.

·
Registered
103 Posts
over Re: LA 5/30

Nice sparring guys. Good to see someone can disagree and still be polite and respectful. I agree and disagree with points on both sides, but like other things that we all have one of, we're all entitled to an opinion. I regularly invite my catch home for dinner, but never!! keep anything over 1--11/2 #.

tight lines
BB

·
Registered
762 Posts
I very rarely keep any fish either. And on those days I will generally throw the bigger fish back. It's ironic that with fishing we tend to spare these larger, genetically superior fish, but with deer hunting everyone wants to shoot the biggest buck around. Just a thought.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Like Billebfishing said.  It nice to see an adult discussion about the topic without the degeneration into a bunch of sanctimious rancor that could have occured.

docb said:
I very rarely keep any fish either.  And on those days I will generally throw the bigger fish back.  It's ironic that with fishing we tend to spare these larger, genetically superior fish, but with deer hunting everyone wants to shoot the biggest buck around.  Just a thought.
Docb,

I would respectfully submit to you that there is no irony between hunting and fishing.  There's just a degree of finality in hunting that is optional in fishing.  I and most anglers I know go fishing to catch (or chase if you will) the largest bass possible just like a deer hunter wants a trophy buck.  So I would submit that there's not really irony at all.

However, I do see your point that there is an obvious fundamental difference in final result of hunting versus fishing.  That's beauty of fishing.  Killing the trophy bass isn't the only option.  I chased after all my personal best and released them which was a great feeling.  The memories are captured in photos and a replica is on order for the wall.  

The reason the fish is spared from death is there exist the option to spare it.  It isn't spared because people only want trophy bucks and not trophy bass.

I guess if someone came up with trophy deer tazer hunts then there would be a catch and release option for hunters. Wonder how that'd go over with the hunting community.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.