Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- this report may get wordy. But it was a pretty nice spring day on LA yesterday.

Started the day taking the kids to school and heading to the gas station to fill up. Now on occasion perfect strangers pull up to me and ask "where are you fishing?"- neighbors driving by while I get my boat ready, or like today, when I am filling the tank. I was filling up at the convenience store in Cedar Park at 183-Toll and New Hope when a guy was driving by and said "hi." He asked where I was fishing and I said LA today. I haven't fished it in a few months (been fishing LBJ lately) and he said that he fishes it 2-3 times per week. He told me to head out towards Quinlan and fish between the clock dockhouse and the fat farm, and really caught my attention when he said he was fishing grass. GRASS!?!?!?!?! says I. He confirmed and I was stoked. This changed my whole gameplan for the day as I was planning on heading south yesterday. The advise was to fish between the clock dockhouse and the fatfarm. With that he drove off. My mind was so fixated on GRASS that I completely forgot to introduce myself or get his name. I was a complete dumbass, but who could blame my stupor hearing "grass" and "lake austin" in the same sentence. But I could tell from the lingo he used - "fatfarm", "Dell's place", etc.- that he had to be an ABFer. For the sake of this report I will call him Gas Station Sushi or GSS, since for good or for bad, he changed my day for sure.

I put in at City Park, and took a few to catch some live bait and got about a dozen 3-4'' shad. This was my plan B in case the bass weren't amenable to my plan, it was late in the AM afterall. So I figured I could get some panfish/whites or troll for some stripers if I got bored. Then I headed North. I stopped along the way at a few waypoints I graphed on my last venture but no luck. Two hours later, I finally passed the clockdock and set my graph to side-by-side downscan and sidescan. Somewhere around a dock with yellow trim (maybe 200-300 yards from the fatfarm) I started to see grass. Per GSS, I needed to find the grass edge by keeping on the outside line of the grass in about 12 FOW and look for the drop off into the river channel. I did just that and found the drop right at the edge of the vegetation in about 6-7.5 FOW. I switched to downscan and marked waypoint right on top of the edge of the grass all the way to just before Quinlan. The grass thinned out right at the fatfarm, just as GSS predicted.

So I return to the start of the set of waypoints (the squarish dock with yellow trim) and kept the boat right outside the path I just mapped out, keeping my boat position following the 11-12' contour. The grass was about 12-16'' high and I was casting diagonally toward the bank into about 5 FOW. I chose a shallow square bill, a Rapala clacking crank in shad/blue back color (the metal knocker type) which runs 3-4'. I figured it would just tick along right above the grass.

First cast- fish, 2 lber. Sped up retrieve hoping fish were active. Nothing. Slowed down. Tenth cast- fish 3.5 lber. Kept retrieve slow- 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Total of 9 keepers, one dink in under an hour. Top 5 were 14.5. All caught on a single lure, single pattern, and they swallowed the crank each time. I had to call it quits just when the bite was hot as I promised the wife lunch at Hula Hut and had to finish with time enough to pick up kids from school.

The key was a slow retrieve, a solid shallow shad pattern, and following the outside grassline. There were plenty of other boats, but no one was landing them like this. Some were too close to the bank, some too far out. Most the folks I saw were throwing soft plastics, but I didn't see much of a pattern there. Also, the grass that came up on my hooks was a beautiful, rich green and looked really healthy. I hope it stays that way.

Once again, thanks GSS!!! I hope you read this post so you can identify yourself. It was a great bite, and I am glad to pass the knowledge on so others can begin to enjoy LA again before the pleasure boaters takeover again. Then it's back to LBJ for me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
TFTR... Good to hear about the healthy grass line from the clock dock to Quinlan. I am trying to get the lingo down myself. I have only been fishing LA since last fall. Is the "fat farm" the place that is directly south of Quinlan? If so, that is where I do most of my fishing on LA. Here in a few weeks, I will have a boat that should be able to allow me to navigate LA a little better. The only other area that I have concentrated on has been Bull Creek.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The fat far is a spa retreat....for "fat people"...at least thats what i was told by my brother in law that has been a lake austin resident his whole life

·
Registered
467 Posts
I do a lot of yak fishing and that area usually produces some good fish

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Lake Austin Spa and Resort....used to, the "full bodied" rich women would go there to diet and be pampered. Before it became the "Fat Farm", I went to a Willie Nelson pic nic out there back in the early 70s. It is now known world wide for its pampering of the "Rich and Famous" Caught several of my biggest fish on Lake Austin in that area.
(Hint: in the early morning hours, hit the retaining wall in front of the fat farm with a top-water lure....it has to hit right at the wall, not out 10 feet...you will get bit)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad the advise paid off. I would have felt bad if I had lead you astray. That has been a good pattern for the last month for me except on Wednesday nights, go figure! My name is Brandon and if you see a Maroon and Gold Skeeter ZX 250 feel free to stop and say hello. You didn't let Momma out fish you did ya?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
TFTR and congrats on the crank bite. After fishing LA now for the 4th. year one thing I have learned is that the fish move around a lot. Another is the pattern you find one day will be different the next. I have my favorite spots like everybody else and most of those are from Commons Ford Park to north of the Quinlan. There is still some grass to be found in these areas as you mentioned.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad the advise paid off. I would have felt bad if I had lead you astray. That has been a good pattern for the last month for me except on Wednesday nights, go figure! My name is Brandon and if you see a Maroon and Gold Skeeter ZX 250 feel free to stop and say hello. You didn't let Momma out fish you did ya?
Hey Brandon! I'm Enrique. Unfortunately the wife got skunked. She was tossing the shallow crank baitball from live target and I thought for sure they'd hit that harder than mine. But alas, they liked my crank better. But Hawaiian fajtas made up for it.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
A lot of us ABF'ers live in that neck of the woods Heinrich. Seems like I run into Dale Read every other week at the Texaco across old 183 from Block House.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts