Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference a day makes. Got on the water at 6:00 and ran up just before City Park where it was 66deg yesterday. Started fishing and looked down at the screen and it was 58.7. I thought it might be broken until I touched the water.

Evidently LCRA decided it was time for an end to the good fishing. Major water release and temperatures were 61 at 360 Bridge and 53 up near Quinlan. The beds I could see were empty except an occaisonal small male.

Mindset was not in the mood for a pre-spawn slow bite grind so I pulled off at 8:30am. Besides, it is my wife and I's anniversary so I really should not have gone in the first place and was planning to be off by 10am.

Hope some of ya'll I saw out there end up having a decent day. I played the titty baby quitter today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Went this morning about 7 and caught 11 small ones between the two of us. It was very slow and much tougher than I expected. Off the lake by noon thirty. All were caught on plastics and saw only one fish on bed and it quickly moved off. Is there a website that we can know when LCRA is going to "chill" us out?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe they will be releasing quite a bit over the next few weeks for the rice farmers down south but Travis will continue to warm so the impact is less each week and it does not look like we are in for any more chilly mornings.

I am hoping by this Sunday it will be back in the 60's for most of the lake below Commons Ford based on the 10-day forecast.

Of course "Wake Austin" is just around the corner but hopefully less with Travis being full and gas prices up. But then again it only takes about 1-2 boats with the baffles full making quarter mile rounds at your favorite spot to drive you insane. At least there is the pleasant explicit rap music to enjoy from their speakers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was out there today and "Wake Austin" was in full effect. I'm convinced that the majority of the boaters on Lake Austin are starting their own Nascar circuit. It's like they overload a boat with kids and drunken middle aged folks, then drive as ast as they can one way only to turn around and do the same thing in the other direction.

I bet they're thinking "if you're not first your last" or maybe "shake and bake".

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Well, I only have a little over a year of experience on Austin now, so my experience doesn't go back very far. However, last year on Lake Austin, because of the water releases from Lake Travis cooling the water dramatically every so often, there were spawning fish caught on beds throughout June. Basically every time the water starts to warm up enough again, a new wave of fish will move up to spawn that haven't done their business yet. Then LCRA will release a bunch of cold water again, and the bass on Austin will back off until it warms again. That seems to be what happened last year anyway.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The amazing thing about this thread is all the talk is about the release of water slowing things down. Having fished several Wed nighters and a good deal of time that I have spent fishing on LA. I have always prefered the fishing on LA when they are releasing water. The bass bite is much better on LA when there is current. It fishes just like a river. IMO :cool:

Jim

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
5A594B4B5E59564C594B4C515B380 said:
The amazing thing about this thread is all the talk is about the release of water slowing things down. Having fished several Wed nighters and a good deal of time that I have spent fishing on LA. I have always prefered the fishing on LA when they are releasing water. The bass bite is much better on LA when there is current. It fishes just like a river. IMO :cool:

Jim
Agreed.  Some of my best days on LA have been in heavy current, working eddies behind submerged tree branches, rocks, docks, etc.  But moreso when the water is a little warmer, later in summer/fall.  But really, it doesn't get a whole lot warmer, even in summer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.