Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on LA around 230. The big prop's being refinished so I was stuck with the little motor. That's ok - lots of good stuff to fish around the Hula Hut (or so I thought). Anyway, so, I've been fishing for around 20 mins - the grassline around the Hula Hut... and then I see one of those amphibious tour party vehicles roll into the water... it's headed towards the police station... and then I notice it's circled around and headed east along the south bank and it seems to be running awfully close, like right next to the bank and that bothered me a little - especially the way it was running WOT and churning up a ton of water along a spawning flat... :( but I couldn't tell for sure exactly how close to the bank it really was... but then that big sucker owned by AUSTIN DUCK ADVENTURES started to cross the lake diagonally and reached the Hula Hut and all the while it's running at what seemed to be WOT in a NO WAKE ZONE and it's churning up a ton of water. Now, I'm fishing the edge of the grassline where the NO WAKE BUOYS are and it ran at WOT between me and the boat docks pushing a monstrous wake... couldn't believe what I was seeing.... :mad: :eek: checked the time and it was exactly 2:52 when this happened.

I'm going to call ADA tomorrow and talk to them about this.

Back to the fishing... I threw swimbaits, went big this afternoon... stuck with topwaters for far longer than I prob should have... fished all the way into the creek across from the ramp... tried some reeds... had one hit on a lizard but missed that and got off the water by 6p with zero, zip, nada... ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called ADA yesterday afternoon and got a recorded msg so I emailed them. This is the email I wrote.

Austin Duck Adventures,

Yesterday, Sunday, 4/11, I was on Lake Austin in my boat, near the Walsh Landing boat ramp when I witnessed one of your tour buses on the lake being driven at what seemed to be its maximum speed really, really close to the south shoreline, all the way from the Police Station to the mouth of the creek that's right by the dam. This was a little surprising to me because the water's so shallow there and the propulsion used by your buses really digs into and tears up the lake's bottom and this can destroy natural habitat for fish and other wildlife, especially during this time of year when many fish spawn in the shallows.

However, what I witnessed next was even more astonishing. This bus worked its way eastward, crossed the lake and at one point was right next to the Hula Hut. This is a no-wake zone. However, this bus travelled, again at what seemed to be its maximum speed and spewed a MONSTROUS wake throughout this no wake zone all the way from the Hula Hut to the second covered boat dock, a distance of perhaps 250-300 feet before exiting this zone so it could take a looping turn towards the boat ramp. I took a look at the time and it was precisely 2:52pm when this happened. I was right by the no wake buoys in this area and I couldn't believe what I was seeing or the apparent disregard for boating safety rules/regulations.

I know that Austin Duck Adventures would not, nor could possibly condone their vehicles being driven in this manner - in violation of the rules/regulations that govern Lake Austin. Can you please explain why this happened and the action that will be taken to ensure that there will not be a repeat of this type of incident.

Thank you,

D.Y.

I have yet to receive their response...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had problems with same Austin Duck before. I was ramping my boat onto the trailer - supposedly in a no wake zone, when the Belligerent Duck charged down the other ramp causing a tsunami that knocked my boat sideways landing it atop my trailer's fenders.

The drivers of the Duck literally try to create the biggest possible wave when they enter the water - in clear violation of the no wake zone - and it causes damage to boats tied along the dock or loading/unloading from trailers.

I called the owner/manager the next day - who promised to correct the problem.

Seems like some directed enforcement action is needed to remind Duck Adventures that compliance is not optional.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm... I just got off the phone with APD. I explained that I wanted to lodge a complaint especially since nobody from ADA has gotten back to me about this... the person I spoke to said they'd basically give the info to their water division and they'd "keep an eye out for further incidents like this one..."

Doesn't look like a whole lot will come out of my efforts... but I'm gonna call ADA again and hopefully talk to someone this time!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking we need to go to more extreme measures.... who wants to help establish a boycott of ADA tours and everything else they do? I'm thinking we might need to barricade all three ramps at Walsh... (but we'll let the bass/fishing boats through, of course)... :) :) :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
+1 on the Statesman ... or any local news crew running low on stories might pick it up ....

if not I say we go "Fight Club" style ... stealthy night missions we will never talk about again involving drilling thousands of holes in the sides and bottom of the buses. :-X

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
5B75627D6964212827100 said:
+1 on the Statesman ... or any local news crew running low on stories might pick it up ....

if not I say we go "Fight Club" style ... stealthy night missions we will never talk about again involving drilling thousands of holes in the sides and bottom of the buses.  :-X
Haha nice...could you imagine the tourist "well we were enjoying ourselves until the rest of the tour was done with us standing on top of the bus, with it stationary".

You know, I bet a sunken tour bus would be great cover for double digit bass. ;D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
65565950524568650000370 said:
Hope you called "Austin Park Police Lake Patrol :

Name Austin Lake Patrol
Police Chief J Joseph
Contact Number (512) 329-8841
Physical Address 2215 Westlake Dr,
Austin, TX, 78746

Not Austin Police Department....
Cool! I'll make that call this afternoon!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good morning. long time lurker here. (We pretty much watch all lake forums. Fishing, homeowners, wakeboarders etc) I need to correct some information that's been presented.

1. We are the Austin Police dept. There hasn't been a park police lake patrol for a couple of years now. Park Police itself was absorbed into APD along with the Airport Police and City Marshals back in 2007. Note the uniform patches.

2. There is no chief Joseph. Never has been. i have no idea where you guys came up with that, our boss is Chief Acevedo. The phone # is correct.

3. We are well aware of Duck Adventures. The problem has been addressed already.

4. I'd like to point out that blocking boat ramps, etc is a VERY bad idea.

5. The whites were thick in Bee Creek this morning, I caught 7 before work. ;)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I think ADA likes to make waves and splash around alot to excite the customers on the ride. They will charge the launch and enter the water pretty fast. You can see the wake in the pics Robert posted where it's coming out of the lake. Their drivers just need to chill out. If they just take it easy, the ride would probably be mostly just as fun wouldn't hurt their business

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Interesting from COP man....I AM NOT THE LAW or COP...so I was just posting what I found on the internet....but did not check it out...

I researched it and found it several places, including on LCRA website and Austin City Website.

http://www.lcra.org/newsstory/2009/4thofjuly.html
below:
Lake Austin personal watercraft ban:

The Austin Parks and Recreation Department Park Police will ban the use of personal watercraft on Lake Austin on Saturday, July 4, from sunrise to sunset. The City of Austin has jurisdiction over Lake Austin. For more information, call Austin Park Police Lake Patrol at (512) 329-8841.

and

this the site I found the chief's name...which I thought was different..
http://www.homefacts.com/policestations/Texas/TRAVIS-County/Austin/Austin-Lake-Patrol.html

and

Jeffery Joseph
Sergeant
City of Austin - Park Public Safety
Marine Enforcement Unit

on this website below....

http://www.lakeaustinmap.com/

I BELIEVE "COP" from the forum...I need to start calling the phone numbers I guess, before posting them....Thanks for the heads up!

Robert

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
51677D7A64676B69647F697C6D7A6B6778080 said:
Good morning. long time lurker here. (We pretty much watch all lake forums. Fishing, homeowners, wakeboarders etc) I need to correct some information that's been presented.

1. We are the Austin Police dept. There hasn't been a park police lake patrol for a couple of years now. Park Police itself was absorbed into APD along with the Airport Police and City Marshals back in 2007. Note the uniform patches.

2. There is no chief Joseph. Never has been. i have no idea where you guys came up with that, our boss is Chief Acevedo. The phone # is correct.

3. We are well aware of Duck Adventures. The problem has been addressed already.

4. I'd like to point out that blocking boat ramps, etc is a VERY bad idea.

5. The whites were thick in Bee Creek this morning, I caught 7 before work. ;)

Awesome!!! Clip those suckers' wings!!!

I still think #4 has some merit to it, especially if doing that'd help reduce the number of wakeboard boats on the lake... ;D ;)

Glad that this problem has been addressed...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
ide like to know what the legalities are of washing your car in the lake?

i was out at festival beach on LBL carp fishing when a guy pulled up to the water, filled up a bucket with water, added soap and proceeded to wash his car. that part didnt really draw much attention from me, but when he was done, instead of dumping his dirty soapy water somewhere in the grass, he dumped it back in the lake, right where i had lines in the water....

now i know that by dumping the water on the lawn it would have eventually ended up leaching back into the lake after a rain or whatever, but is that really legal??? it certainly is careless to say the least. when i saw it i actually winced like" WTeff dude?!?!?! ::)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.