Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took son #2 to LA yesterday to pratice for Wed Tourny. EA you are right. No need to pratice. Only caught 3 keepers all day. Fished from Dam (lower end) to Quinlan. Caught a lot of dinks. Did have two nice ones and son broke off an even larger one. See you'all Wed night.

·
Registered
998 Posts
No offense to anyone, but wouldn't it be prudent when not in a tourney situation to release fish where you caught them in an effort to help spawn. Obviously during a tournament this is not possible, but otherwise I think keeping fish in your livewell all day just so you can have a picture with two fish at once is somewhat "unconservational". It just seems like leaving the fish where you found them would be the right thing to do during spawn IMO. I could be dead wrong on this one ;D
Just my .02

Fish On

LH

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
lunker-hunter said:
No offense to anyone, but wouldn't it be prudent when not in a tourney situation to release fish where you caught them in an effort to help spawn. Obviously during a tournament this is not possible, but otherwise I think keeping fish in your livewell all day just so you can have a picture with two fish at once is somewhat "unconservational".
Looks like I need to stop talking to Rude, EA, Fobio, TDub/HHJ.. wait he said 2 fish, Duke, and a few others. ;D

Going out to fish, containing in lvewell, taking pics is all part of the fun and the opportunity to share with others.

Based on Doug Hannon's response in another one of these posts, I doubt this has little/any effect on pre spawning fish.

Larry just needs to catch bigger fish on wed night :p while I am learning how not to speed through Lakeway. :-[.

kp

·
Registered
998 Posts
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers; my concern is taking a male off of a nest filled with possible sharelunker babies, and then letting him go a mile away giving him no chance to get back and protect them.

Doug Hannon's response was about stressing out bass during the drawdown and had nothing to do with spawning fish if I remember correctly.

You say these are pre-spawn fish, but how do you know they are not on a nest of eggs already laid by a big momma in 10ft?

Just my .02 and I understand about sharing and having fun, and basically showing off at the expense of the fishery we are all trying to conserve; just seems a bit ironic IMO.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
lunker-hunter said:
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers; my concern is taking a male off of a nest filled with possible sharelunker babies, and then letting him go a mile away giving him no chance to get back and protect them.
I'm glad you didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.  However, I'm sure some were.  The very possible yet hypothetical scenario you describe is just that.  At this point its hypothetical what this bass was doing at the time it was caught.   I agree that if you catch a fish you know to be on a bed then it is a good practice to return it to the bed.  Thats what I do.  However, it's not mandatory.  That is a personal choice. (I'll cover this a little more at the end)

lunker-hunter said:
Doug Hannon's response was about stressing out bass during the drawdown and had nothing to do with spawning fish if I remember correctly.
I agree.  I'm not sure what K-ped was thinking on that

lunker-hunter said:
You say these are pre-spawn fish, but how do you know they are not on a nest of eggs already laid by a big momma in 10ft?
And you don't know that they weren't staging and actively feeding in preparation for spawn.  At this point none of us can say.  So it would be and endless arguement unless of course you're arguing in favor of banning spawn fishing totally.  That'd be the only safe way.  However  I don't think that's necessary.  I'll discuss it more in my closing statement.

lunker-hunter said:
Just my .02 and I understand about sharing and having fun, and basically showing off at the expense of the fishery we are all trying to conserve; just seems a bit ironic IMO.
What you call showing off is that man's right.  A right to the pursuit of happiness within lawful means that I and many other veterans have secured with sweat and blood.  If catching bass, taking pictures of them and releasing them (regardless of time of year) is what that man wants to do in his pursuit of happiness then so be it.  You hypothesisize that it's at the expense of the fishery.  Maybe maybe not.  According to TPWD it doesn't or they would have banned spawn fishing totally.  PS:  I know that man in question has earned his right even more so than I ever did.  Hats off to you Larry and nice fish.

Now with all that being said.  Your concern for the fishery is admirable and welcomed.  However, I would submit that in our quest to conserve that we don't become sanctimonious zealots to our fellow anglers.  Notice I didn't single you out, becuase I too agree that conservation is important and at times I may seem to get preachy about it.  There is a balance.  

In closing I would submit this to you.  Spawn fishing has been going on for many many years in Texas.  TPWD and it's wildlife biologist have studied this much longer than any of us weekend anglers.  If spawn fishing activity was a deteriment to the bass fishery they would have imposed an off limits season.  However, they chose to impliment a sound management plan with regulated size and bag limits that have made Texas one of the premier fisheries in the country year after year.

If you don't think it's working then perhaps you might take it up with TPWD and suggest your own studies and solutions to the perceived problem.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Rude,

You win buddy. Better debator than I. IMO you are the Master-deBator. ;)
But seriously, not questioning Larry himself more than anyone else, just had always wondered about this "practice" and felt it was a good time to bring it up.

Please don't kick me off the site :'(
Just looking to share my views and hear others.

Fish On!!

Zak

aka LH

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I guess it's not okay to have a differing view from those who run the board.

I give...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice pics Larry, congrats on the good fish. I hope you don't let any of this other talk going on get under your skin. The number of fish that get off a good spawn that never even see a hook is more enough to support the fisheries we have in Texas.
Good Luck tomorrow night.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
lunker-hunter said:
Rude,

You win buddy. Better debator than I. IMO you are the Master-deBator. ;)
  ;D ;)  

Lunk,

It's all good man.  We're all after the same thing..  A good time on the water, fish to catch, and future fish to catch for the next group of anglers coming up behind us.  Different approaches to bass fishing and bass conservation seem to be as diverse and argumentative as religion at times.   Neither side can win over the other yet they're marching for essentially the same goals.  

Anyway,  as you've noticed I never shy away from some good mental sparring here and there.  I agree that we should all do our part in our own way to perserve the fishery.  

Oh, one more thing.. LOL..
When I hold a bass in my wells for fun fishing or tourney fishing I bath them with "catch N release" or "please release me" formula.  This helps reduce bacteria and fungal infections, helps restore electolytes and reduces stress.  That combined with good handling should result in them returning in superior condition so that they can live to fight another day.  At least thats what the Sure-life claims.....

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
No ones going to kick you out for giving your oppinion.

And Basstrack who says you can't dissagree. Rude did not state that he was not allowed to speak of such things did he?

I would just like to add a little something I read once into your argument Rude. The spawn in Tx brings in Millions and Millions of dollars to the local and non local economy. People come from all over to fish Fork and other such lakes this time of year. I would not be so certain that this does not play a large part in TPWD decision on the matter. Just like every other governing body in this country, power can be bought.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
I have no idea what k-ped was talking about ealier in regards to DH's email reply when he responded quickly in between lunch and potty time at work ;).

I know Larry wasn't bed fishing, he can barely see the bed at home :p.

kp

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
WOW guys that was alot of info. Glad to see there is lots of passion about the sport of Bass Fishing.
A couple years ago there was an article in BASSMASTER
about the subject. They claimed there is no documented studies proving that Bed Fishing negativley affects Bass fishing.
Jim ;)

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
BassTrack,

Please feel free to differ.  I think it's great to have a market place of ideas where you can freely state your opinion.  However, that means that I get to state my opinion as well doesn't it?  A good discussion has 2 sides.  I only hope that I've discussed it in a professional manner.

I hope you don't feel that I've supressed your opinion.  If so then I must apologize.  I was just stating my opinion as well.  

I hope the fact that I'm an Admin doesn't make you feel that I always have to be right and that no one else matters.  I have a responsiblity to be fair and I wouldn't penalize you for your right to an opinion.  If you feel I'm not fair then I'm sure Charlie would be happy to review my actions to make sure that I'm not abusing my position.  

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
RudeHoe225,

When you start mentioning taking something offline when the whole reason for this type of board is for open discussion, it sounds to me as though you are wishing to quiet such discussion. I didn't think I was asking you to step outside the drinking establishment to settle a dispute. ;D

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Jukebox said:
The spawn in Tx brings in Millions and Millions of dollars to the local and non local economy. People come from all over to fish Fork and other such lakes this time of year. I would not be so certain that this does not  play a large part in TPWD decision on the matter. Just like every other governing body in this country, power can be bought.
Hey Juke,

I made no assertion that money and politics doesn't play a role on TPWD decisions.  Nor did I state that I was certain that it did or didn't.  That aspect wasn't even mentioned.  If you review my post the primary argument states that their policies regarding conservation and the fishery is working and has made Texas as one of the top bass fisheries in the nation.  

However, I think the discussion of the opportunistic versus the altruistic nature of TPWDs decision making and polices would make a great discussion as well.  They, as all state and national wildlife management agencies have to try to implement policies that balance access for the human population to enjoy the resource while also managing it so that the resource can be sustained and replenished.  

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.