Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a good story for you. On our way to the ATX Big Bass Tourney and my engine starts cutting out about a 1/4 mile before City Park registration. Check intake, oil cap, etc... and then try several times to get going and the motor maxes at 2500rpm and then starts choking.

With basically an engine at idle and high winds we decide to punt on the tourney and fish back to the ramp and call it a day.

On the way back, we fished one of my spots and the swimbait gets inhaled just before the inside grass line in 8-10FOW. Set the hook and the drag was ripping right away. She jumped and I new she was going to go over 10lbs. Brought up at the boat and my buddy Jack did a superb net job and it was over in less than a minute.

Water temps were about 62.5 and as many were well aware the winds were out of the south at 25mph.

She went just over 11lbs:

Here is what I think is a better pic with my buddy Jack holding her:

Great way to make up for what many would consider a disaster.

I want to apologize to the guy I ran to the bank when I turned to the right just before City Park. It was my last ditch effort on the motor and I saw you, tried to get out of your way by turning right, and you went right as well. Good job threading me and the bank. I am sure you were on fire and pissed as hell. Sorry.

Again, I just have to say what a great lake LA is. We are all blessed with this in our back yard. Catch and release pays divendends, especially the 5lb+ females. Throw them back.

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Very nice! Bummer you didn't make it over to the registration! That fish may or may not have won you first place, depending on the accuracy of your scale. ;) First place in the tournament was won with a bass that weighed 11.00lbs on the dot. It woud have definitely won money though. 2nd place was a 9 somethin'. You seem to be throwin' the right swimbait out there lately, weemo. Are you ever gonna let the cat out of the bag and tell us which one it is you're throwin'? ; ::) Or at least if it's a soft or hard swimbait? ;D

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have gone to another part of the lake first if I made it to registration and the motor was running so that fish would probably never happened. Soft 6" swimbait.

· Registered
2,271 Posts
796B6B63610E0 said:
I would have gone to another part of the lake first if I made it to registration and the motor was running so that fish would probably never happened.  Soft 6" swimbait.
True dat. Fate perhaps. ;D It's funny, I used to catch some big swimbait fish in CA with pretty good consistency, but in my last two years here in TX, I think I've only caught two swimbait fish. I'll get the swimbaitin' down here in TX soon enough. In the meantime, keep posting the pics of your lunkers to keep me inspired to keep throwin' 'em!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.