1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AREA: Lake Austin
DATE: Saturday 29AUG09   (06:30-10:30)
WEATHER:  75-86 degrees, cool clear morning
WINDS: calm with a 2-5mph breeze out of the NE
WATER CONDITIONS: 79 degrees, clear, no current, stagnant floating debris

SUMMARY:
I teamed up with Alan, one of the old core crew guys, to do some fishing and get some time on LA since I hadn't been out there in a while.  

Picked Alan up at the neighborhood ramp and headed out to fish the morning session.  Got on to a dink and trash fish bite which made for some decent action with a few keepers mixed in.  After culling through all the short fish we had 3 chunky keepers that probably went around 6-7 lbs.  One of the more notable moments was catching a follower that made for a nice double hook up.  Also hooked up with a large sun fish.  It seems the quality of sun fish being caught this year has been pretty good.

We caught most the fish with T-rigged and wacky rigged Senko type plastics presented in and around Milfoil.  Not a bad day on the lake.  The steady bite made it fun as we reminisced about the past few years of ABF and the local fishing scene.  

Here are pictures of 2 of the more colorful sun fish that were caught.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My buddy and I were out there sat as well (white cobra bass boat). Needless to say, the lake was FRUSTRATING!! I only had one dink on a wacky rig senko(wat. red). Any help on this lake would be appreciated as I have a club tourney there in a few weeks! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I was out there as well. You just took off as I was putting in, Yung. I started out at docks just above first set of green lights. Pulled a little chunky fish off lights. Worked the docks some more, no action. Went down to Rebar Bridge Cove, as I call it. Picked up 2 more little ones in a foot or so of water. Set the hook so hard on one, he went flying across the nose of the boat. All fish came on wacky rigged wtrmln/red Trick Sticks. Water temps mid lake in upper 70's. Lots of floating dead grass and small sticks. 360 parking lot was full by 0830.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Those are some beautifully marked fish, I don't know what it is about LA that makes the fish markings so clear and unique. Some of the coolest looking bass I've ever caught came out of Austin.

Posted by: crankin_dave Posted on: Aug 30th, 2009, 2:41pm
My buddy and I were out there sat as well (white cobra bass boat). Needless to say, the lake was FRUSTRATING!! I only had one dink on a wacky rig senko(wat. red). Any help on this lake would be appreciated as I have a club tourney there in a few weeks! Thanks
Dave, I see you are new to the forum, welcome. Most of the forum veterans have seen this exact post time and time again from newbies. In fact I probably posted a very similar post a few years back. The people on this forum are very helpful as a whole but you have asked the one question that can't be answered. It sounds as though you are off to a good start with your choice of baits. Fish slow, maybe throw a rattlesnake or a jig into the mix. Relate to the grass, steep banks, and laydowns., And obviously these days the early morning bite is key (try and make the most of it in your tourney). But Lake Austin changes daily if not several times a day, and patterns typically don't last long, most of this is contributed to the "river" action and changing temps and water flow. If you are experienced on other lakes, take what has worked for you elsewhere and apply it. LA still skunks veterans that have fished it for years from time to time. Good Luck

Sorry for hi-jacking Rude

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
[quote author=67404B7A76250 link=1251659965/0#5 date=1252288156]Those are some beautifully marked fish, I don't know what it is about LA that makes the fish markings so clear and unique.  Some of the coolest looking bass I've ever caught came out of Austin.

Maybe its the cold water that comes from the bottom of Travis. My brother sends me pics of similarly colored sunfish from wesern NY regularly. It may be the cooler temps.

Ro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.