Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish LA yesterday from 5 pm to 9pm. Started out south of the bridge flipping a jig around docks in county line bbq cove and picked up this 4lb'er. This fish was all tatted up. Never caught one so off color like this. Had two other good ones come unbuttoned, showing my true rookie status. These bites all came in 2 FOW or less.

As the sun went down and the pleasure boaters disappeared we moved to the main lake and tried fishing soft plastics in the grass north of bridge in about 5-8 FOW only to pick up one more small keeper.

Not too many fish caught but better than being at work on such a nice afternoon.

Carson

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice fish. I read somewhere that those random dark spots and markings like that are relevant to a fish staying in warmer/shallower waters all the time. I don't know if its true or not though. I will say it seems to make sense because every fish I have ever caught with those unusual dark spots have been in shallow water even though I have caught tons of shallow fish with no spots.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There's a million explanations for the dark spots, but none of them make much sense. I'm sure you'll read several responses to this post about..."it's the time of year"..."it's the spawn"..."it's the diet"..."they recently came from deeper water"...I've heard them all. I've researched it and actually looked up documented scientific studies...none of the explanations you'll get from anywhere here about it are true. All the studies have been..."inconclusive." So really we don't know what it is for sure. So far the only study that I've read that hasn't been completely disproved and actually makes sense to me is that it's just a mutation of pigment/melanin in the bass's skin. Simple as that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Its another unsolved scientific bass mystery. I will be out there again this afternoon. Definitely going back to the coves due to the wind and pleasure boaters. My little boat does not like the wake or wind. I am in a 15 1/2 foot procraft stop by and holler if you see it out there.

Carson

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.