Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launch: River Place

Fished LA today from 2pm-6pm. IT WAS COLD! I had to get off the water at 6pm because 3 of my reels froze and stopped working. The cast button froze in the open position and wouldn't go back. Every other cast the guides would freeze 100% closed and I couldn't reel without dipping the rod in the water. Oh yea....and the braid was freezing to itself on the spool.

Threw DD22's, traps, jigs and flukes......the only thing that was biting was frostbite!

I fished the rocks for about an hour and decided to go fish the grass. Fished the grass for about 30 minutes and decided that I would paddle up lake to another rocky steep bank. The wind was in my face the entire time. I was fortunate enough to be graced with a wind change so that when I paddled back it was in my face again! I never even graphed fish today.....

The water was still flowing slightly when I arrived but stopped by the time I left. There was loose grass EVERYWHERE! I struggled throwing anything with treble hooks because every cast was grass fest. I would say that today was better than a day at work, but honestly I would of rather been warm at work then freezing in the yak not catching fish.

Didn't see any other idiots (like myself) out there in boats, but there was someone bank fishing the rocks when I left.

Oh yea.....saw this also. This guy was having a worse day then me. I guess he got stuck in the mudd/cold and gave in to mother nature! he was a small 6 point.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Thanks for the report man. Sounds like you did better than the 6 point. Thought you'd get into them. You never know until you go. We'll be trying Saturday, should be a little warmer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was probably the idiot you saw fishing from the bank. Had nothing better to do so I went. Managed one 14 incher on a rattle trap.

Oh what a difference a week makes. ;D

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
333C263D3B31203130550 said:
I was probably the idiot you saw fishing from the bank. Had nothing better to do so I went. Managed one 14 incher on a rattle trap.

Oh what a difference a week makes. ;D
Was that your green Toyota? If so....yea I saw you when I was taking out. If my feet didn't hurt so bad I was going to walk over and see if you were having any luck.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Thanks for the report Chris, your a braver man the I.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My buddy Carson took me out in his 8 ft. pelican after work yesterday out of Walsh. Man... I made the mistake of not tying everything at home - was in too much of a rush after work - just grabbed everything because I didn't want to be late meeting him...

So, we get on the water and I'm trying to tie a jig on but I'm kinda fumbling with everything... and then I realize my fingers have gone numb... dang... they were pretty red and swollen at that point... and then they began to hurt. Grabbed my gloves on. 15 mins later, my line begins to ice over and then I get a bad backlash that I really can't untangle without taking my gloves off... but no way am I taking my gloves off!!! So I go to my crank rod... and d-ohhhhh!!! Had a worm hook tied on instead of a snap. Somehow, with gloves on, I manage to fish a snap out of my tackle box, tie that on and then start throwing a deep crank... and all the while I'm backlashing a bit because of all of the ice on my line and in the guides.

Really, when we got out, we were in kind of a dismal mood because of how MUDDY the water was. Decided to give it our best shot anyway and I believe we were floating around in that tiny boat for just a little less than 2 hours.

Later on that night, I drove down to downtown to meet some buddies and passed a tan hobie kayak strapped to a minicooper on Cesar Chavez- guess someone else braved the elements, too... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.