Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, Lurp and Huntinallday are heading out to Lake Austin in about an hour. Sometimes fishing is more important than class haha. I will post a full report this evening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon all,
I am new to forum and have a question about the draw down. I see where everyone is using J Boats lately, so is it still safe to put in the Ranger...I haven't fished LA in over 3 years and have never been there during the draw down. just wanted to ask the question before me and a couple of buddies make the trip up. Thanks for any insight you can give.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Iwould not think about putting anything bigger then a john boat in the water.

I believe that Shark is correct that none of the ramps reach the water. I think most of t he guys are carying the j boats and smaller to the water through knee deep mud !

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't put my boat in LA right now if I could. We took out a two man bassbuster out and the last 3-4 feet to the water is real muddy. We didn't have the luck alot of other people have had but I keep seeing all these reports and have to try it again.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Been wanting to hit it with my 2-man but wondering how bad the mud is. So, what's the mud report where you guys are putting in (Quinlan, CP, 360)? Think I could get it in if I was by myself?

Tried years ago, with a buddy, to get my bassbuster in at Walsh and at 360 during the drawdown and it was such a total mudfest it basically wasn't do-able unless you're into mud wrestling. I'm telling ya, it was a mess and took forever to get the mud off of and out of everything. Maybe it was a faster drawdown then and the exposed lake bottom didn't have as much time to dry, leaving like 15-20 feet of knee deep mud to cross.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We caught a 44 LB bag on LA today.....unfortunately we dropped our camera in the water :p . Kidding aside, we hit LA from 2:00-6:00. I managed to pull a 4.5 lb gasper goo on my first cast. I was then skunked for the next 3 hours and 55 minutes. I thought I had a PB on and was a little disappointed when I saw that tumor covered gasper. Lurp and Huntinallday managed to pull a bass a piece. Other than that, it was cold. I guess we should have gone out in the morning like EA and airfob......or picked up some MegaBass products haha. We threw everything we had at them.. 7 inch senko, curly tail worm, rattlesnake, storm crawdad, jig and craw, shaky heads, DD22's, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, rattletraps, and swimbait......maybe we should have tossed grubs haha ;D

·
Registered
399 Posts
We only stayed around the 360 bridge and couldn't go much farther because we had a 12ft jon boat rated for 2 people or 240 pounds loaded with all three of us weighing in at over 500lbs haha.  The 4hp motor was pushing us about 5mph give or take 5mph  ;D .  wasn't to successful but still was a lot of fun.

ChiTownLonghorn

Lurp

HuntinAllDay

·
Registered
399 Posts
We had no problem launching the boat under the 360 bridge. Didn't really sink into the mud at all and the ground was pretty firm. I imagine the longer the lake stays drawn down the firmer the ground will be, but after this rain today you may want to bring the plywood or planks just in case ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.