Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy sent me an email, said he saw it on Facebook, but I do not do Facebook.

I have no way to confirm this, does anyone know about this accident?

Part of his message:

It is reported that a vehicle belonging to a Kinder Morgan contractor has washed into the Pedernales River in Gillespie County. There is a container with radioactive material on the vehicle and in the river. The authorities seem to think container is secure enough that the risk of such material escaping into river is low. The Gillespie County Sheriff’s Dept and Fire Marshal are aware of situation and evidently working to get vehicle out of river. Another attempt to do that will be made Saturday morning according to my information. The site is near Goehmann Lane north of Hwy 290. This is not far upstream from LBJ Ranch and State Park. The river is really flowing now and water is pouring into Lake Travis. I think LCRA should investigate this incident. More exact info regarding location can probably be obtained from Sheriff or Fire Marshal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More from sources closer to it than I am--

There will be a Gillespie Sheriff news briefing this evening or afternoon. TCEQ is on site. LCRA is aware and coordinating with TCEQ. They also notified biologists with Texas Parks and Wildlife spills and kills team so they are aware. Container has been located and appears intact. They are working on getting it out of Barons Creek from what I understand. Press release will go out later from LCRA with details.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yeah, grab the easy yellow and magenta box that has less hazardous radiation than a sunburn. And hold a press conference about how you saved the day. Don’t worry about the motor oil, diesel fuel, ethylene glycol and brake fluid from the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Radiographic camera located intact in Gillespie County
The company that reported a missing radiographic camera has located the device intact. Shawcor reported the camera missing Friday after a truck was swept away by floodwaters from the Pedernales River. The camera, a piece of industrial equipment that contains a sealed capsule of radioactive material, was located just east of North River Road near Stonewall. The camera was whole and contained in its protective steel overpack box with no release of radiation.
The Texas Department of State Health Services, which licenses radioactive materials and equipment, is investigating the incident to determine whether there were violations of state laws or rules and will take appropriate enforcement action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts