Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Getting closer, but not quite there yet. It will be early next week now. It's the little details now that start to come up - rigging choices, fit and finish of parts. Bryan at McNeil Marine has done a good job of giving me my options, but I tend to gravitate towards the one that costs a bit more and ads a little more work. But we are narrowed down to the final decisions.

Trolling motor, leaning post, upholstery and the hamby's keel guard got installed. Hopefully the next post has the finished product. She's definitely going to be one of a kind.

Console came out great:

Here are the fly rod holders with the custom tip protector they built for me:

And the leaning post:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great to find this, as I just bought the same boat and year. Yours looked to be in a wee bit better shape. I'm still working on getting the trailer into shape.
Any tips, such as how to get the glue from the carpet off the fiberglass? I want to do a spray in liner but not sure if I am going to tackle that now. Rather fish till fall and deal with the teal carpet.
Keep posting pics though and great job.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've got a V186 which is a slightly newer smaller version than what you have. I really enjoy using it bass fishing or at the coast. I've got some back issues so standing up is the best for me and the ride is really smooth.

I can post some pix later but just for your consideration.

1. I added 3 access doors to the deck of the bow. There is a lot of room under there but it is practically impossible to get in there from that vertical deck door. Its much easier to stow my anchors etc in there with access from the top.

2. I cut out a rectangle behind the livewell seat and replaced with an RV access door. This provides some more dry storage and makes getting to the instrument panel much easier.

3. I put guide sliks on the trailer. It was the devil to get it on and off until I did that.

Next on my list
1. replace that casting deck on the back. With that deck there its very difficult to get to my battery and very few things can be stowed under the deck. I don't think that the casting deck is integral to transom strength as I've seen some kenners without it, like yours for example.

2. Rebuild the seat cooler stand so it sits up higher. It is not very useful as it is. I could relocate the battery(s) to be under there.

just my 2c

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Great to find this, as I just bought the same boat and year. Yours looked to be in a wee bit better shape. I'm still working on getting the trailer into shape.
Any tips, such as how to get the glue from the carpet off the fiberglass? I want to do a spray in liner but not sure if I am going to tackle that now. Rather fish till fall and deal with the teal carpet.
Keep posting pics though and great job.
Depends on how good you want the cockpit finish to be. You can wet sand it and get it smoothed down pretty good, but you'd have to gel coat it and try to fill in the uneven spots, which is time consuming. I'd just sand the best you can and then spray the liner.

I did it get it back this past week and need to upload some pics - hope to early in the week. It's like having a brand new boat. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Well, here she is. I'd say she's about 95% done. Sorry for the delay, I've actually been out on the water fishing her the past 2 weeks. The stripers, hybrids and whites are running right now and the water temp is right at 69 - 70, so it's prime time action. Also, the carp are schooling up for the spawn, so poor mans permit and bonefish training is in progress.

So far I am very happy with the boat. Not only is it so much more streamlined for fly fishing, but it came out looking brand new. Deciding to refinish the outside made a huge difference on the look of the boat. Same on patching and refinishing the console.

That's not me with the dirty mustache. That's my buddy Bpolish. I made him put down a deposit before driving it.

I still need to get the new switches installed, get a new steering wheel cap, pop up cleats, and shore up some of the upholstery work, but what is done has already impressed me and my buddies. Here are the big hits so far:
  • Hamby's keel guard - not only did it hide a lot of the scuffs, but I have no worries beaching it, which is common in the lakes in my area.
  • Under the bow LED lights. No more pop up nav light to get in the way, and the new lights make the boat more aggressive looking.
  • Under the bow batteries rigged for 24 volts, complete with onboard charger and quick access plug for easy charging. Makes the next item even better.
  • 70lb thrust Minn Kota salt water trolling motor with I-Pilot. The 24 volt system is a huge improvement, but the real upgrade is the I-Pilot feature. It is like having an extra mate on the boat. Spot lock has turned out to the priceless. I've been using it with the next item....
  • Raymarine Dragonfly 7" widescreen sounder/GPS with CHIRP. While I do a lot of sight casting fly fishing, there are times when I need to find the fish that are suspended and go with a heavy sink line. Finding fish and then hitting the spot lock on the Minn Kota has been worth their weight in gold. We pulled 30 fish up from 10' - 20' last weekend by doing this. Can't wait to use this when searching for tarpon at the coast.
  • Custom fly rod holders - the starboard side has a custom tip protector that holds 4 rods.
  • Leaning post with storage, foot rest, and 3 cup holders. The cup holders speak for themselves, obviously. But the storage underneath the seat has proven useful. Overall, it is just more comfortable while driving and taking a load off your feet.
Again, I am WAY satisfied with the work McNeil Marine did here in Austin on this boat. Bryan guided me through the entire process and gave me pros, cons with alternatives to EVERYTHING we did on the boat. Not only that, but he was honest and transparent with the pricing. And if something didn't come out the way he liked it - he redid it and told me. Highly recommended if you are in this area and are considering any type of marine work.

Thanks for humoring me on this post and coming along for the ride. I'll post once I get a few more things done and it's 99% done. I don't think any boat is ever 100% done - that's the fun of owning them.

Tight lines,

Coconut

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Man that is a sweet float you got there! One thing that would help set the combo off is getting that trailer rhino lined or line-x'd. Not nit-picking at all, just an outsider looking in. That is a fantastic transformation.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Cleanest looking boat I've seen in a while. I bet it's a blast to fish out of that. That is a great pic of the restoration btw.

How are you catching the carp schooling shallow?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
NICE NICE NICE!!
I'll be looking for a center console next year & NOT planning on a new one! I'll definitely keep this in mind!!!
I've seen a few of the old Kenner's for sale down by the coast. Any idea how much that thing weighs, loaded, motor and all with trailer and full of gas??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Man that is a sweet float you got there! One thing that would help set the combo off is getting that trailer rhino lined or line-x'd. Not nit-picking at all, just an outsider looking in. That is a fantastic transformation.
Great minds think alike - my brother has that same idea. Maybe this winter - I really want hydraulic steering next, so the trailer would be behind that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
How are you catching the carp schooling shallow?
On the fly rod, it is really a delicate game of presentation. I am not exaggerating - a lot has to line up for it to happen. When they are schooling on top and sucking off the surface, something small that stands out, like a gnat fly. It has to be placed right in the eat cone (similar to tarpon on the fly), so that the fish sees it and eats it. Since they don't have teeth and don't run when they eat, it is a game of feel most of the time. Sometimes you can see them suck it in, other times you can't depending on water clarity and wind. The slightest tug means fish on. We fish them when they are tailing and cruising the shallows too - I either use a damsel, or a small bitters, which always performs. Fishing this way is like fishing for spooky bones and the king of the tease, the permit. But they'll eat when it is done right, and it is rewarding because presentation and mechanics have to be right. I've turned Bpolish onto the game - he loves it, but he's also easy to please. :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts