Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got thru using some tidy bowl to get the bathtub ring off my hull. Anyone have experience with a wax/coating that helps keep it from returning? That ring starts to look pretty nasty after you go to the coast with it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Sani-vac not sure about the spelling and available at H E B or a strong concentration of viniger and water. Call me and I'll share some of our detailers methods. Gary 512 250 9000

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
HEB sells an extra concentrated vinegar 9% acidity as opposed to standard vinegar's 5% acidity. I use the heck out of it for water spots, and to remove calcium build up.

On a completely unrelated note, if you add a cup of salt with a long squirt of Dawn to a gallon of that vinegar it's a great weed killer.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
HEB sells an extra concentrated vinegar 9% acidity as opposed to standard vinegar's 5% acidity. I use the heck out of it for water spots, and to remove calcium build up.

On a completely unrelated note, if you add a cup of salt with a long squirt of Dawn to a gallon of that vinegar it's a great weed killer.
I like the weed killer idea. I have never like spraying chemicals around my place for fear it might get to my big trees. THANKS.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some more googling and it appears that there really is nothing that stops the calcium from getting on there so its just a matter of ongoing cleaning. Not only that, but our Centex Lakes are not the only ones with this problem.

I'm going to try that vinegar mixture a try. I have been draping a plastic sheet over the trailer to keep the acid from getting on the galvanize. I don't want to start a rust problem.

I'm gonna try that as a weed killer too, I'm tired of weed eating around things and I'm also reluctant to spray roundup everywhere. Need to look up the MSO on Dawn. I have also heard it recommended to add a soap to Roundup, something to aid dispersion so that may be the same thing that Dawn does.

I'm told that big trees have deep roots so that's why they can use a herbicide on cedars and weeds, but I don't like that risk either.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have tried the vinegar, Dawn and Epsom salt mixture on weeds. Spray in the morning and many will be dead/dying in the afternoon. The only problem is that
it doesn't kill the roots and they will reappear.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Epsom salt is indeed right. Just another reason why I write things down. CRS has me in it's grip.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Here's another: Mosquito Repellant For Outdoor Areas

Big bottle of Blue Mouthwash
3 cups Epsom salt
3 stale 12oz beers

Mix and spray. Minty fragrance. Not supposed to hurt plants.

I did this on my breezeway (concrete) three weeks ago and do believe it's working.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I don't know about the hull, but I just cleaned up the lower portion of my motor with scrubbing bubbles, just sprayed it on, let it sit for about 10 min and repeated two more times, looks very nice.
JR

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up going with muriatic acid, hcl, pool acid etc. diluted 4 water 1 acid. Always pour acid into water not vice versa. Then I just used a paint brush to brush on the brown ugly. Let it set for 10 minutes and then painted over with water to get acid off. Using a brush the acid doesn't end up going everywhere. I covered the trailer while I did it. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts