Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday was a great trip. I would recommend it for anyone wanting to see some beautiful scenery and have some fun fishing. We left a vehicle in Junction then drove out to the South Llano River State Park to launch. We actually paddled up river first to see some water that no one was swimming or tubing in. Great decision too. Momma was throwing a chartreuse rooster tail in line spinner up under the trees and she hooked the fish of the day for us - a 1 1/2 lb. small mouth - her first ever. That fish danced and fought and pulled her kayak and did everything I could ask for to get her more excited about fishing. We could have stopped there and I would have been a happy man. I caught two small LMB on a Strike King Bleeding Jig in Green Crawfish throwing into the brush laying down in to the water beside some deep pools. We moved back over to the park and began our trip down river. Once you launch in the park you will find that about 500 yds down river is a shallow area you might have to walk your kayak through. Reaching this point we found quite the gathering of tubers. Apparently they hadn't heard about social distancing yet. As we waited for the congestion to break up I walked to the edge where the water pooled fairly deep on the left hand side. I tossed a Texas rigged 4" Watermelon colored Strike King Rage Bug into the deeper water around a downed tree right at the edge on the left side. I got several bites (one tore the trailing legs off my bait) before I finally hooked a nice 2 lb. LMB. I got a few more hits before it was time to move on but no fish. We cleared this shallows and one more just down from it and then we were clear of the tubers and in beautiful clear water. Over the course of our float we had to actually walk two other spots although there were a couple more that were close. Throwing in-line spinners, swim baits and Rage Bugs we managed to hook 11 more fish and land 9 of them. By the end of the day we had added 1 small Guadalupe bass, 1 small mouth and 2 white bass to our species list along with 5 more small LMB. We got out in Junction and went back to the park to relax, grill some ribs and enjoy the early evening. I dont know what a normal crowd looks like here and I can see that fishing in the park would be difficult if many tubers were around but the trip we took was beautiful, fairly easy paddling and took us about 5 hours to complete. Definitely a place we will go back to. Keep your lines tight and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pleasure was all mine Jeremy. Not sure about the weather but we are toying with the idea of trying the Guadalupe again this weekend although I heard my wife talking to our daughter about grandbabies and sleep overs?

·
Registered
106 Posts
We made that same trip 2 years ago, over the 4th. The river was flowing nicely, and caught some okay fish along the way. Next day, went up from the bridge and put in at a low water crossing that took us back to the campground under the highway. Super nice trip, super fishy looking water, but since I don't have Jeremy's skills ( or luck, whichever works that day ) we didn't catch as many as we thought we should have

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
River trips seem to be more about the float than the fish. Thanks for the kind words Paul.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang. Sleepovers this weekend for me so no fishing. And then I read about your trip. Killing me. Hopefully we can go later this month. And I agree. If I had Jeremy's skills/luck I am sure I would have caught more as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts