Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just got started fishing (bank fishing, hurrah!) a couple of weeks ago (bought a pair of rods with spinning reels and a variety of lures/baits).

Now that bank fishing has slowly taught me how to cast, etc., I'd really like to try out Kayak fishing (that way I don't have to stay on the bank the whole time!).

Now, as this is my first thread, it's only proper to ask all you long-time anglers if anyone has any advice on renting a 'fishing' Kayak here in Austin? I live in Bee Caves but would be happy to travel to, say, LBL or something similar (would really like to stay in/around the 360 bridge area or maybe Lake Travis though). I've looked into normal Kayak rental, but I was wondering if there is a more purpose-built kayak that can be rented (i.e. a kayak for fishing specifically w/ rod holders, etc.) ?

Thanks for any tips/tricks/suggestions in advance!

One last thing, I really wanted my girlfriend and I to be able to Kayak fish together so if anyone knows of a place that rents a two seater, that'd be awesome!

- Carlos

·
Registered
855 Posts
I rent from Texas Rowing Center on Lady Bird Lake. They list the hourly prices on their website. They have kayaks of all sizes. I've tried fishing out of a two-seater sit-on-top (sat in front, gear in back). It worked, but was hard to steer and paddle. I've since switched to the one-seat sit-inside. They have a few that have two rod holders in the back and a rear well large enough to bungee a milkcrate into.

I've chosen to invest in TRC's punch card, which takes the rental cost to $14 for all day.

A few buddies and I have rented canoes from TRC and Zilker Canoe Rental as well. Two people splitting an all-day canoe rental is pretty reasonable.

Obviously, you're limited to staying on LBL, which works for me. Hope this helps.

P.S. These aren't boss fishing kayaks like they have at ACK. They simply fit my stuff and float. And I don't have to try and haul a kayak with my Prius.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@jz2518, @e00o - thanks guys, ACK looks fantastic; I'll definitely give them a call if I want to rent a 'boss' fishing kayak (aha @michang5)

@michang5 - very helpful! I think TRC looks to be the best choice for this weekend (we'll probably head out all day Saturday and grab a canoe, thanks for the tip!)

Man - this forum community is very responsive and helpful; glad Austin anglers are friendly haha

Thanks all! And don't forget: A reel expert can tackle anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts