Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get my own kayak in the next few months and its likely I'll need to use a trailer to haul it. I don't own a truck and don't really fancy putting a 100+lb kayak above the car every time I want to fish. I've already found a decent lightweight trailer I like, then I got to thinking. Will a trailer stop me from fishing a lot of places? I think red bud island and brushy creek would be difficult to park a car trailer.

Do any of you haul your yaks with a trailer? How do you deal with parking?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Red Bud would be a problem with a small trailer. If you are physically fit,and have no major injuries, putting an 80 to 100 pound kayak on and off a car top, or smaller SUV is not that hard. You just have to learn a way to do it that works for you. I did it for years on a Mazda truck with a camper on it...made a little rack for the top and got after it. The wife used to put hers on top of her Equinox. Trailers do make things easier, all except for the parking

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd strongly suggest figuring out how to top it on the car. Trailers basically limit your options almost universally, you can get racks with helper bars and rollers for heavier boats if that's the main issue. I often tow a 6 boat trailer when going out with my family or friends who don't have boats and I can't tell you how many times it's presented problems getting to the water because there's often no parking. If you're always hitting up decker or bastrop, then sure, it's no issue but getting on town lake is often a complete mess with one.

Car Sky Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts