Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here. I have only been seriously fishing for a short while here but I am having the ache to get a kayak for multiple reasons. I realize that part of this purchase will be the transportation and stowing of the kayak and I am in the process of answering those questions before I make my buy.

This might need to be a post unto itself but here is a kayak that I am considering buying:

Academy - Pelican Apex 130T 13' 2-Person Kayak

At 13 feet I think that I should have room to stow it on the 2nd floor balcony at my apartment, but I am wondering if anyone in the community has done this and if the apartment complex raised issue or not. I think that I could maybe use a pully to lift it to, and maybe even hang from the balcony.

Anyway I would love to hear your thoughts!

- fantom

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't have any apartment expierince, but pelican yaks are pretty light. I have one (12') and will be upgrading come tax return. I haven't had any issues with it, just the build doesn't fit me. I had it in the bay last week and didn't feel right. Two piece hull . Made me afraid to go BTB.

Save up your money. Look at the heritage (native) or pescador if your dead set on academy.

Mind you nothing wrong with my yak, but it's getting upgraded as soon as then $$$ comes around. Bassboat first, but wife calls the shots..

·
Registered
504 Posts
if it's in your budget, take a look at the jackson kayak line. If i was gonna go kayak (possibly someday) that's what I would get

·
Registered
157 Posts
I stored my kayak out on my balcony years ago in LA. When I moved to Denver (no balcony), I locked my kayaks up in the public bbq area after asking if it was ok with mgmt.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My old apartment complex wouldn't allow it, they would even get mad about coolers left on the balcony. I had to keep it in the dining room propped up against the wall. I'd recommend checking first to make sure, storing it inside the apartment didn't make my wife very happy. Thankfully got out of that place into a house so no more worries.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Buy a Wilderness Ride 115 or 135 and a trailer. Lock up your kayak really good and secure your trailer, too. Avoid the two piece Pelican. It's just not in the same league as a Wilderness, Hobie, Native, Diablo or Jackson. If the price is scaring you off, there'll be lots of quality used yaks on sale this winter when the trophy yakkers trade in for next year's model.

-SSJr

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've left a very expensive piece of plastic locked up to the stairwell in the breezeway of my apartment for the last year with no issues. I was fortunate that it fit perfectly out of the way under the stairs, and the apartment was relatively nice in a sort of remote area. Definitely made me nervous though, upped my renter's insurance just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay this is all good information, thanks guys. I am leaning toward a better to ask forgiveness policy... as far as the kayak itself goes price is an issue for me at the moment so the ground is the limit. I like the idea of being able to have another person on the boat if I can and the extra length. I also am pretty set on a sit-on versus sit in design for this. I am pretty open also to customizing the boat with outriggers, rudders ect to get something that may be less than ideal closer to my comfort zone.

I am definitely looking into resale options so if you hear of anything please let me know!

-Fantom

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Back when we had an apartment I got a garage and placed them in there. Some kayaks are real heavy and we lived on the 3rd floor. No way in hell I was going to carry two kayaks up there.
Also try out kayaks before you buy. I can help with some of the Native kayaks. By the end of the month I should have a Slayer 12 and Slayer Propel 10. I have a Mariner 12.5 right now that I may put up for sale soon but in the mean time you can try it out sometime if you'd like. Got a few different Aqua Bound and Bending Branches paddles you can give a whirl if you decide to go the paddle route.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought a used 2 person (sit on top) kayak and got rid of it soon after.
realized with the designated sitting areas you pretty much need a second person every time.

If you ever try to use it alone it doesn't balance very well sitting in the front or the back.

Also found SIT kayaks very uncomfortable since your legs are extended straight out.

If you have any back issues get a kayak or canoe that has a raised seat.

Best advice is don't buy anything until you try that exact model out on the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts