Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Walther P22 for snakes, varmits, etc around the house. Bought some rat shot for it. I bought the 22 pistol so it wouldn't be so loud in the neighborhood, but it is still PRETTY LOUD! Do they make a quiet rat shot? and what brand do you suggest for the quietest?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure you will find much variation in rat shot loads. They do make subsonic ball ammo for .22 (cb caps, etc.) that have a much lighter powder charge and are much quieter than standard .22lr.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yeah sub sonic is much quieter but I've never seen rat shot in sub sonic.

Luckily the Google knows everything
22lr ratshot and a neat little round made by Aguila, it's a subsonic (roughly 1000 fps) 60 grain bullet,
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwirncL5tqnUAhUM24MKHZLqBHcQFggvMAI&url=http://www.basspro.com/Federal-GameShok-22LR-Bird-Shot-Rimfire-Ammo/product/120829053330614/&usg=AFQjCNHh3zQ1AaNqn6DbpiS7RsyAU0wfiw

Not sure how any of those rounds will work in a pistol.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Subsonic 22 will not cycle a semi auto but it will be much quieter.

Not to be puny, the best solution is to bite the bullet and get a tax stamp for a 22 suppressor.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
It will still give that crack sound. You could buy a silencer for it. I don't know if rat shot will go through silencer. Honestly you could kill all those things around with the new BB/Pellet guns that have the whisper thing on it. Look at FPS. I used to have to get rid of muskrats and snakes at my parents place using only a BB gun.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Rat shot is pretty forgiving. I don't know that I'd trust my aim at a live target with a single slug round from a pistol. :cool: I thought about rat shot for my own problem but living in Briarcliff, my neighbors have a dim view of firearms going off around here. I'm thinking about one of those high-powered pellet rifles myself.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not sure rat shot would work with a silencer...that's a good question. Then again, the suppressor might cost more than the Walther.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Don't shoot ratshot through a suppressor, but subsonic loads from a .22 are scary quiet. I shoot subsonic ammo through my .22 suppressed pistol and it cycles ammo fine. Also, because the barrel is so short if I shoot regular ammo it never gets supersonic and it is the same noise level as subsonic ammo is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts