Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, my lady suggested we spend the weekend at Ivie. I've never gone there and I couldn't believe what she was saying... "Like, you and me?! :) Oh yeah..." :)

So, we got there late Friday night, around 1am, and slept in the truck by the ramp @ Elm Creek. Gotta give beaucoup respect to my lady for making it through the night. It got a bit colder than I thought it would. We woke up with a quarter inch of frost covering everything... Eh, we shook off the cold with an awesome breakfast burrito and some coffee @ Elm Creek and got a room for sat night. Also picked up a coupla packs of Xcite baits. Jerry has a pretty good selection of plastics and some great food in his Marina/store.

The research I did prior to the trip seemed to indicate that if I wanted to get my hands on a true hog, I should concentrate my efforts on ledges in the 15-30 ft range and that's what I did. Stuck to the area between Elm Creek and the Dam. Really didn't have very much luck finding any of those offshore ledges so I mainly stuck to mainlake points that had good drops. Had a bite on a 3/4 oz. football head jig on the first point I fished but missed that. Also had another bite on a carolina rig on the outside edge of a point/grassline. Those were the only bites I had before taking a quick lunch break. Got back on the water around 3 and decided I wanted to catch some fish just to get the blood flowing. With the wind blowing at a decent clip, I started ripping a trap through some grass on those flat points across from the dam and caught a couple pretty fast. Both were under 2 lbs. Ended the day fishing a couple more mainlake points with the football head with nothing to show for it.

Sunday, wow... we had awesome weather. It was cold, rainy, and we also had a decent wind blowing. Love that kind of weather. Caught a "18 fish that would've prob been around 3 lbs slow rolling a spinnerbait off a mainlake point with some grass in the first ten mins. Only fished for about 2 hours that morning and the rest of that time wasn't as fruitful. We needed to pack everything up and check out by 11-noonish and I thought I'd get back on the water for a little while after doing that before heading back to Austin but I could tell from my lady's vibe that she wasn't exactly feeling being out in that boat in that type of weather and I didn't want to push my luck, especially since she was so great about suggesting we spend the weekend at Ivie...

In short, it was an awesome trip. That lake's great... was a little surprised at how much grass there was everywhere!

Elm Creek's a fantastic place to stay - terrific people. Great food. Rooms are clean enough and they also have ESPN! Got to watch the first half of the jets/colts game before I zonked! :)

The pix of the first fish I caught.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Thanks for the report. You got to love it when it's her idea.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
071F1205223A2C3F294D0 said:
Your in a good area right there! :)
Hmm... yeah... I think, looking back, if I could've done one thing differently, it would've been to fish those flats deeper and a little more slowly. Hmmmm.... oh well... there's always next time!!! :)

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I think I am headed to Ivie on Sunday.  Can anyone recommend a cheap bed?  I don't need anything fancy......just warm, dry and have a soft pillow.  I will be loading up my kayak and headed down to fish Sun-Tuesday.

Any certain colors/styles I need to take with me? Also any certain place where I should launch and/or fish?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gizmosmom - thanks - we'll think about it.

Chris - haha, yeah. We'll see how well you defend your title! :)

Tamale - it's just our club tourney.

Arai - my room @ elm creek last sat was $47.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.