Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fished established farm pond this weekend and used a small white curl tail jig on 6lb test line/spinning rig to catch on back to back casts, 36inch and 45inch catfish. Over 30 minute battle on both fish. Released both catfish back into pond.

UPDATE: TPWD biologist said those look like a GIANT channel catfish....
And the TPWD State Private Water Body Channel Cat is 47.22 Pounds and 45" in length. Caught in 2003.
馃摲

Public water body record is 36.5 Lbs caught on the Perdernales River in 1965

My catch was 45 inches but did not weight it...and released it back into the pond

Are these Blue Catfish or Channel catfish as TPWD says that large adult channel catfish do not have spots. And have been caught as big as 58lbs in Texas Waters?

Registered
Well first off, that's a heck of a fish. I know most adult channel cats don't have spots but I think they can as they do when they're smaller. I read somewhere that only the Rio Grande blue cat populationhas spots so unless that's where the pond was stocked from I'd say that's the biggest channel cat I've ever seen.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Its an old pond, over 30 years plus....lilly pads, bass caught to 7lbs and perch bigger than my hand. here is a better pic of the second one caught, 45inches

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
UPDATE: TPWD biologist said those look like a GIANT channel catfish....
And the TPWD State Private Water Body Channel Cat is 47.22 Pounds and 45" in length. Caught in 2003.
馃摲

Public water body record is 36.5 Lbs caught on the Perdernales River in 1965

My catch was 45 inches but did not weight it...and released it back into the pond

1 - 5 of 5 Posts