Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
how are ya'll getting power to the lights? I fished with lance once in his charger and really liked the deck lights and the lighted rod lockers. i want ot put some in the skeeter but don't have experience wiring boats.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
The leds use very little powerso a very small wire guage is all you need, 18 to 26 ga will be fine. I used some left over thermostat wire. Home depot sells outdoor low voltage wiring which will work too. Speaker wire is good but expensive. An old extension cord has some good wire and a nice protective jacket as well. I suggest soldering the connections and heatshrink or good rubber and vinyl tape will work for some years.. I put a .5amp fuse in front of the switch...You must protect this circuit with a fuse or breaker to avoid the possibility of fire. Good luck.

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
57525D4C4C594E54595D583C0 said:
how are ya'll getting power to the lights? I fished with lance once in his charger and really liked the deck lights and the lighted rod lockers. i want ot put some in the skeeter but don't have experience wiring boats.
I know Lance uses a rocker switch connected to a trolling motor battery, all the work done he did custom though. Those deck lights on his Nitro lit up weigh-in by themselves on a Wednesday Nighter.

That Charger was just a loaner boat, so-to-speak  :).

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Here is my setup...

Ran a pos/neg wire from main battery to switch on side of console. Ran neg/pos wires from switch to furthest light away from switch. I spliced into them where I wanted the lights to be located. This particular switch controls lights below deck...i.e. in the storage compartments, back hatch near batteries, tackle compartment.

Second switch was run the same, installed on the front bow panel and goes to lights above deck.

Bluewaters take up such little amperage. They are very bright, some people are using dimmer switches. I dont have a bug problem with them.

Only thing I would change is maybe not putting a switch in the front panel, or maybe a better one. Every time I take a wave over the front, my switch shorts out and I have to take it apart and dry it at days end.

I went a step further and added them to my trailer for cosmetics and safety. Wanna make sure someone doesnt pull into my lane at night while on the road.

http://www.bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=20 mine is upper boat pic

http://www.bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=21

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I got my switches from South Austin Marine. Get the rubber covers that go with them. Fill the cover with silicone grease, solder all connections then dump it in the DIP IT and let dry. This will stop shorts and corrosion plus it looks pretty good.

I used several switches for different zones. This is what it should look like when done.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Looks good fishless..I wonder how bright red ones would be.
Good job Dez...looks proffesional.( been to the salt lately?)

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
you know i didn't think about that. that's a good point.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Off to ebay to find a red and green led strip. I like that idea, wouldnt have to mess with that darn light pole.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I read the posts related to the strips for nav lights and in typical TFF fashion they have an argument going on if it's leagal or not. What a bunch of arseholes over there, just glad you bunch of jerckies are so sweet.

You can buy those lights on ebay for around $4, they come from Hong Kong and take a couple of weeks. I have got a few bad ones but for the most part they work and much less than Soverign Control.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Dont buy the cheap stuff and risk not getting quality product. Lance before you buy, check out bluewaterled. Mike gives outstanding customer service and ships promptly. And he is running a layaway program if you need it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts