Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, did a lot of fishing during my trip and wanted to post my report.
First day out, was nice, went out for about 20mins, and pulled up to my spot, and pulled a nice 4 1/2lber out. Second cast. Then I left for lunch. and ate, went out to fish again, and some how the prop was missing :mad:

Tropical Marine in Marble Falls hooked me up bigtime. And got me running again. During that time I purchased a motor off Craigslist, and spent a day and a half getting it working.

So on the third day I go out in the morning and finally start my fishing.
Got to my spot at 7, and landed a 5 1/2 lber, and a 4 3/4lber, and a 3.75, and a 3 in about 2 hours. and no dinks so far. all keepers. So I kept them. And I never keep fish. Figured I'd keep them for all the frustration I went through.  best limit ever and didn't even have 5 fish.
I leave to go eat lunch. and right as I reach towards the basket the line snaps and sinks them to the bottom. So I spent 2 1/2 hours looking for them with no luck. Man I was totally devastated. The fishing gods where punishing me for keeping bass. But camping for 9 days, is a good enough reason to keep bass if I eat everything.

So the next day I go out again, same spot, whack another 4 3/4 and a 4.25 and another small 3 in there and went to another spot and got a 2. Kept em for dinner.

Next day, same spot.

and a Billabong hat. LOL>

Came home with these guys.

All fish caught on Rattlesnakes on shakyhead. The only pattern I found was anywhere where you could fish a drop off that's in 15ft of water or 20, you'd catch fish, but it was slow finding them. Fish where stacked bigtime. All these fish where caught from two spots I found, and they would recycle every day so I'd catch another big fish from it. Caught more big fish than dinks. It was a lot of fun. Windy, cold, and all that. But the fishing made it worth it, not even a lost prop was gonna keep me off the water.

I feel bad for keeping the bass. And don't normally do it. But a man's gotta eat.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Sounds like a great way to spend 9 days. Thanks for the pics and report.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because of the short notice,my dad went and bought and old Sears motor. Called a Ted Williams. They guy from Craigslist said he's buy it back if we didn't like it, but I'm keeping it because i've never seen a motor crank so well in 30 degree weather with ice everywhere. It's a great little 7.5 hp. Now I've got two, and now, I'm thinking about buying this other Ted Williams motor for 100 bucks, just because it's a great motor. Needs a carb job. and the motor once it's running is totally worth 2hundred dollars I paid for mine. And goes about .4mph's slower than the 4stroke.

I'm thinking about putting both motors up for barter. Haven't decided yet. I do want a bigger motor. Thinking about locking one in place, and using the other to steer. lol.

· Registered
5 Posts
Never feel bad about keeping a few fish to eat. With the cost of fishing these days and the amount of fish caught for table fare it does not hurt to keep a few Don't let those so called die hard bass guys get you down to much. I wish I had all the fish that died after a tournament and from the guys that don't know when a fish has picked his bait up and ends up dead from a hook in it's gullet.
Enjoy yourself when on the water but practice catch and release as much as possible.

· Registered
10,698 Posts
We used to keep largemouth to eat when I was a kid and they were good enough, but we always liked crappie, cats, and whites more, so we'd usually let the largemouth go. When I first learned to use the C-rig, used to gut hook a bunch, so ate those and stopped C-rigging. Esp. if you're camping and need the fish for food, no one can make an argument to deny your nourishment. Nice pics and thanks for the report. That was a pretty smallmouth/guad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.