Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I have posted. I recently moved to Hutto and have been hitting up Hutto Lake pretty frequently for the last six weeks or so. That being said, I was wondering if anybody has experience fishing Meadow lake or Bright Lake in Round Rock or Devine Lake in Leander? I have fished Pflugerville and Brushy creek before but am always looking for more options. I saw those lakes on TPWD website but haven't seen any posts about them in the last 2 or 3 years on this site. Anyway here is a few pictures from the last few weeks at Hutto sorry for the selfies, I am rather unfortunate to look at but my regular pictures are too large IMG_1872.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1831.JPG IMG_1671.JPG

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
you've done a lot better at Hutto than i have done over the past few yrs. Meadow and Bright pretty much fished out by bucket brigades, but there are still some nice ones at Bright if you can get them to strike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeeten, great catches. I have only been to Hutto a few times and didnt get so much as a strike. Excellent job.

Those spots you mentioned in your post, and to finish off what fishzan mentioned, Devine Lake water levels receded badly, for the last few years, until this past year. Seems like some fish survived and they were hitting like crazy last season. But things have slowed down. The fish might still be recovering from the winter lull or being finicky due to spawn, or it might even be from the insane amount of pressure they been receiving since last year. I am not sure, probably a combination of all them.

You can still catch a few, I haven't caught anything over 3 lb's but that is not to say there is something bigger lurking out there. There is plenty of bank to fish from, but you can't get to the other side of the lake, its private property. I would recommend fishing from the non-park side near the dog park. Seems to do slightly better. No motorized vehicles of any sort are allowed, and there is no launch ramp but if you can haul a fishing kayak down to the bank and launch from there, you will probably have a lot of luck fishing damn near anywhere.

I have taken my inflatable out there a few times and have had a lot of fun but I never went too far, the wind can be unforgiving.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Every spot you've named is getting hammered......bucket brigades take everything they catch. Legal or not.....net brigades catching bluegill and taking them to granger for bait.....no enforcement at all by any officials from any where....You may find a fish here and there.......but it wont be long with Pics like that til the lurkers ruin your fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Every spot you've named is getting hammered......bucket brigades take everything they catch. Legal or not.....net brigades catching bluegill and taking them to granger for bait.....no enforcement at all by any officials from any where....You may find a fish here and there.......but it wont be long with Pics like that til the lurkers ruin your fun.
Red... I know the feeling, it doesn't matter if we post or not either, they always show up at some point, especially the openly public areas. Sickening really. It doesn't matter how many times I have called the wardens, the same thing happens. I can't count how many weekends I've seen buckets of illegal fish sitting next to a crowd of unsavory characters. I say something brash added with, "I am calling the authorities!" and they run off but are back at it again the next day. Pisses me off nothing is every truly done. That's why I keep honey holes truly secret and only share with only like-minded individuals who look to preserve the "fisherman's code". Because there is a code....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here here BBoy! I've had my fair share of cross words with the bucket brigades but after a while and a citizens police course, I stopped saying anything. Instead, I noted their descriptions, both physical and vehicular, kept an eye out from a distance and called the wardens. Works pretty well! It's all about respect for your surroundings and nature y'all. I've been a catch & release guy all my life. If I don't eat it I don't keep it. Preserve not disturb!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always fish Bright lake, and I love it. I C&R, but yes, I have seen bucket brigade. They mostly go for catfish or "anything that bytes". And they pretty much catch nothing, you really need to know what you are doing. I consistently catch fish and don't give them up (yes, I have been asked several times, as I was releasing anyway). Last Saturday I did saw I guy keep 2 undersized LMB (they must be 18", one was probably 15, the other 17"). I did saw a ranger last Saturday, unfortunately he left before this guy got his first bass. Most of the time, there are 2 kind of fisherman in the area: Those that C&R LMB, and those that catch and keep anything (though mostly these last ones don't know what they are doing, and I don't tell). With few exceptions, I mostly out fish everyone else, but there are some good C&R bass fisherman in the area. I would say that I don't like to move around, so those who know what they are doing and move around tend to out fish me, but I out fish anyone who stays put in a single place. Sometimes can be hard to figure out the fish. Last Sunday I started with Texas rig (1 fish + 2 lost bytes), then drop-shot (not a single byte) and finally using wacky very slowly, I started catching them. Most people use crank bait in there, which seldom work well (it does occasionally), so I believe the fish is used to plugs and top water presentations. Plastics, on the other hand, I have only seen 3 other fisherman using over there, probably why it's effective. But you need to put your time and figure out what they want on a particular day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here here BBoy! I've had my fair share of cross words with the bucket brigades but after a while and a citizens police course, I stopped saying anything. Instead, I noted their descriptions, both physical and vehicular, kept an eye out from a distance and called the wardens. Works pretty well! It's all about respect for your surroundings and nature y'all. I've been a catch & release guy all my life. If I don't eat it I don't keep it. Preserve not disturb!
Rix, I'm definitely going to try that next time. Thanks for setting my head on straight. I need to keep my cool and if I want anything to be done I have to play my cards right. Thanks again! And completely agree, preserve not disturb. Good stuff..

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys are KILLING me! Hutto Lake was always one of my favorites. Great catches in those pics. I moved to Southern California to be near my grandkids and I'm really missing that pond. Hell, I'm missing all the great fishing back there! Not as many places I can drop in my yak like there and the big reservoirs here aren't as easy to fish from the shore. Same problem with the bucket brigades in the smaller waters though. Drop a line in Hutto for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man those are solid fish!! Great job. It's a bad feeling when your fishing and a dude walks up woth 5 poles and a bucket. Drives me nuts.

Anyways we are never going to lose them so keep fishing and if you respect the fish/pond, catch and release!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I bought a Field and Stream Shadowcaster a few months ago and have been learning the ropes on it. Since Hutto is small and I live close by I've been using it as a confidence builder. Took it out yesterday and caught them busting shad on the surface. I decided to try my brand new Phantom Shad Whopper Plopper. First cast with it and I landed a the small 15 incher pictured on the board. Landed 2 more on the whopper plopper and 5 more on wacky rigged senkos. I was off the water by 10 after the bite died down. IMG_2137.JPG IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2142.JPG IMG_2135.JPG IMG_2058.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts