Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just a quick question, is it normal or not normal for anglers in Austin area to keep legal sized bass, large mouth and small mouth?

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I first started bass fishing in Texas in the early 70's the normal was everything legal went in the livewell and the freezer. As fishing pressure grew the resource was at risk. Catch and release gradually became the norm for serious fishermen. I can't remember when I last kept a bass in Texas. Over 30 years for sure. However, I see nothing wrong with keeping some keeper sized fish now and then for a fish fry. Big fish should always be released. My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
2,026 Posts
These days, I have such an affinity for black bass, I cannot stomach the thought of eating one. I love the slogan, “Free the Fighter!”

However, I fully support any licensed angler’s right to harvest legal black bass. Especially from Bastrop.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting query. I am gonna guess (from speaking to anglers on other forums) that the majority of "anglers" are catch and release.
There are many people who are fishing for food and those people don't really care if the fish is legal or not. To them it is a matter of eating.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Great question - and I agree with Liebersdad - most people I encounter are C&R. I fall into that category most of the time, especially with LMB. Occasionally I will become a C&C fisherman but never anything with any size to it. I am always a fan of a good fish fry every once in a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, just a quick question, is it normal or not normal for anglers in Austin area to keep legal sized bass, large mouth and small mouth?
In my 34 years of fishing Town Lake (LBL), I kept largemouth bass one time. I had a 11.2 pounder that was posted in the Statesman in 2002. Somehow the photo was leaked to Mike Leggett.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my 34 years of fishing Town Lake (LBL), I kept largemouth bass one time. I had a 11.2 pounder that was posted in the Statesman in 2002. Somehow the photo was leaked to Mike Leggett.

Def didn't wanna be eating anything from town lake back then anyway and probably not now either

1 - 12 of 12 Posts