Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 7' quantum M rods. One is matched with an Abu Garcia SX40, the other with a Pflueger Trion 40, (both spinning reels) and I plan on spooling them with a braid. First question is what weight and brand of braid to use? Second question is I plan on using one as a Senko rig most of the time, probably the Abu Garcia, so I want to tie the Invizx 15lb leader on to it. How long should the leader be? And what knot do you all suggest? I am new to the leader game, and have never used braid before at all. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use 20 pound Power Pro Super Slick braid. I use 10 pound Seguar Red Label leader. Most people use a 7 foot leader. I use a 20-30 foot leader. I don't like having to worry about my leader running out so I make mine really long. I use the Alberto knot.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use 10lb braid... Don't go higher than 15lb...IMO. I suggest a J-Knot preferably, but if you can't tie that do a Uni to Uni. I would make the leader at least 24" but no more than the length of your rod.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
I like 20 lb sufix braid with a double uni knot to 20 lb 18 inch flouro leader, or less length. In stained water, or at night, I use no leader, tying braid directly to lure. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I use 30lb Sufix 832 braid and tie about 20 feet of Sufix Castable Flouro (8-14lb,depending on application) using a double uni knot. Clip the tag ends as close as possible and you'll have no trouble with the knot going thru the rod guides. Good luck, sir!!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I use 20 pound Power Pro Super Slick braid. I use 10 pound Seguar Red Label leader. Most people use a 7 foot leader. I use a 20-30 foot leader. I don't like having to worry about my leader running out so I make mine really long. I use the Alberto knot.
I pretty much do this. I've gone down to 15# Power Pro Super 8 Slick (always hi-viz yellow) for my spinning reels. 20# works fine. 10# gave me bad wind knots.

I'm currently using 10# Red Label for leader. Tie with Alberto knot (learn from the man himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M&index=31&list=FLUgll-X_Ufe21Z6F9kwPlJA). During the winter, I was using 6# Invizx leader on one of my rods.

I use 2 arm-spans length of leader most of the time (I'm 5'10") for my drop-shot rig so I have more leader to work with in case I break off.

I've only been using 1 arm-spans length of leader lately for my wacky rig. I was using 2, but I would never seem to reach the end of the leader before I got worried about it and just wanted to retie.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I use a long fluoro leader, too. Probably twenty feet. Trim it back as necessary when it shows wear or I have to re-tie a new hook after a break off. I can use the same leader up to a month until its down to three feet, and then it's time to tie on another. I prefer 10-12 lb Sunline Sniper FC. Seguar Invisx or red label will do in a pinch, but I'll go up to 15 lbs with it. Main braid is 30 lb Power Pro, moss green on the baitcasters, red on the spinning rods. Like Michael, I shy away from ten lb braid after having some really bad wind knot problems. Alberto knot to connect the braid to the fluoro.

-SSJr

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info all! Went with Power Pro Super 8 Slick on one of them and Spider Wire Stealth on the other. Figured I would try both and see which I liked more. Used a backer of a Berkley Trilene Big Game at the Tightlines guy's advice to save some money. I plan on tying a leader on my senko rig. Looking forward to seeing you on the water soon!

·
Registered
522 Posts
And make sure when you tie your leader, to trim the tag ends really well or else the line will get stuck on it when casting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I typically use 15-20# Power Pro on open face spinning reels and cut the leader so the knot is between the face of the reel and first rod guide when line is reeled in. Keep the knot off the reel spool.

·
Registered
237 Posts
20# braid with a six to eight foot leader. For Senkos, I like the bright colored line; works as a strike indicator. Use a Bob Sands knot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts