Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I was tired of hijacking BC's post. I have some questions????

1. Can you use an alternator charger on an outboard? I believe they have a magneto(sp?) instead of an alternator so not sure..

HOA makes it difficult to keep the batteries charged...They filed a lawsuit on me finally, so I had to give in..

2. I have a Motorguide trolling motor now, and it says it can be a 12/24v. Well I tried the 24v setup and the relay started on fire. OOPS. So the question is, is how can a trolling motor be both 12/24v.

3. LA tonight, Travis in the morning, or both????

p.s. I know that I work on electricity for a living, but low voltage gets me every time.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Hey guys I was tired of hijacking BC's post. I have some questions????

1. Can you use an alternator charger on an outboard? I believe they have a magneto(sp?) instead of an alternator so not sure..

HOA makes it difficult to keep the batteries charged...They filed a lawsuit on me finally, so I had to give in..

2. I have a Motorguide trolling motor now, and it says it can be a 12/24v. Well I tried the 24v setup and the relay started on fire. OOPS. So the question is, is how can a trolling motor be both 12/24v.

3. LA tonight, Travis in the morning, or both????

p.s. I know that I work on electricity for a living, but low voltage gets me every time.
1. Yes, check this out, here is your solution Minn Kota 2-DC

2. The 12/24V is selected at the foot pedal for the TM at the front of the boat. If you tried to re-wire the batteries for 24V in the rear of the boat that explains the fireworks. Each 12V batt is most likely isolated with it's own relay. Both 12V circuits are present at the plug in the front but the toggle switch on the foot pedal dictates the 12/24V.

3. Neither. Sleep in...Make a big breakfast... And go back to sleep... If in doubt, check the weather report

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea that's what I was wondering. I read that but had no clue about the real difference between the magneto and the alternator. I am pretty sure I don't have an alternator though, kinda sucks. Thanks for the responses.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I have the charge on the fly deal and while it sounds good in theory, the chances of every really running anywhere long enough to make much of a difference is rare. I could see it working well on a boat that trolls alot or runs the outboard more.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
What Terry said. Best bet is just a good onboard charger. 10 amps is plenty for most folks. If you do alot of 2 day trips or fish every day you'll need at least 10 to get the batts up before ramp time in the morning. You may need more depending on habits. I have a 3 bank 5amp and it works great but I usually have a some time between trips.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is a stupid question but these onboard bank chargers are plugged in right. I use a regular charger now that has a 2 amp setting, a 10 amp setting, and a jump start 50 amp setting that I bought at Autozone. If I have to plug it in anyway what makes an onboard charger better. Not being a smartass, I actually don't know!!:(

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
They are exactly the same except: You can't charge 3 batteries at once with that thing, and you gotta go get it out of the garage, then try to clamp it onto a battery you can't see after opening the hatch, fumbling around for your flashlight that doesn't work. Oh yea then there's the explosion risk from connecting a battery in an enclosed compartment. Doesn't happen often though... Easier to run a cord over, plug it in and forget

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha. Ok cool. I am starting a wish list so that my wife doesn't buy me something I don't want. Sucks though I am already over two grand. I am trying to combine christmas and my birthday, like I have done since we met.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Good luck... I have had a MinnKota 3 bank 5amp on the boat for 4 years with good luck. I believe they are $149 at Academy.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome thanks for the help. You will probably see me on here asking if someone wants some extra cash to wire this and my new trolling motor up.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I am super busy trying to not be a loser and starting a small business right now, but Lance can expertly perform any highly technical service or installation needs you may have. Holla if you need some direction. Glad to share..

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks and while I'm at it what is the best way to winterize an outboard when I intend to use it year round. The big boat has an I/O and it gets the full winterization and sits all winter. The bass boat will not sit at all. Tips?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have the charge on the fly deal and while it sounds good in theory, the chances of every really running anywhere long enough to make much of a difference is rare. I could see it working well on a boat that trolls alot or runs the outboard more.
TDub do you have the STAYNCHARGE on your boat? I read that they can be hooked up to charge off your truck while driving to the lake. Might be good for trips like Falcon or Fork.

Reactions: tlee_ls1

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea from what I am hearing your the best but I have a 115 Johnson. I just had it all serviced when I bought it. Thanks again for all the help guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts