Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a fishing license recently so I could take my 4 year old daughter fishing at the quarry lake. We tried using hotdogs for bait, but got no bites. I haven't fished since I was a kid so I have no idea what bait we should be using. Can someone recommend bait, gear and time of day?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Quarries is one of my favorite spots. Did you get a permit for the lake? The only reason I ask is because the office that issues the permit also has a "fishing book". The handy book has a thermal depth image of the quarry and numerous pictures of anglers catching BIG Bass and Catfish. Some have a description of the bait and time of day the fish was caught.

From personal experience, I've learned the hard way of fishing the quarry. Stay clear of any bait that isn't a natural food source within this area. Hotdogs might be a great bait to use in other bodies of water, but in a rock quarry habitat, I've found that sticking to realistic minnows, lizards, craws, and various bugs is your best bet.
You can catch fish through out the day, however the best times for fishing just based on consistency, is dawn.

If you want to catch a fish sooner rather then later, use live bait. Minnows work well at all times of the day, but I have to say the best live bait I've used by far are craws!

Hope this helps and happy hunting!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I did buy a permit and saw the book of large fish caught. (probably should not have let my daughter see the book since she thinks all of the fish caught are that large)
I will take your advice on the minnows. Which bank is best to fish from the dock or the area close to the tennis courts? BTW - A snake swam right up to me at the bank behind the tennis courts last weekend. When it finally noticed me it made a shreak noise and swam the opposite direction.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Agree with the mentioned above, I fished it for years and years. Small minnows from Ace Fishing Tackle on Parmer, or get a small white roostertail if you prefer going after them without live bait. Some of my best luck was on the Tennis Courts side.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want to catch a lot of fish at the quarries get a chatter bait flashback minnow, Z-Man Store » .

The ones you catch probably won't be large but if you fish in the round drainage pond in the back you will catch a lot of fish.
Also caught fish on crank baits.

The tennis court side is shallow, going down to 10ft about a third of the way out. From there it is 30ft deep to the cliff.

You can rent a canoe there also just check with the lady that sells the permits.

I am pretty sure you don't need a license to fish there just a permit since it is private property. Makes it a good place to take visitors from out of state.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We used to fish/swim in that place to before it was taken over. Was always an awesome hangout. Plenty of good bass and cats...bonfires...rope swing...damn!! Thems was the days!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I bought a permit today and went back an hour ago to walk the pond. Nice place across Mopac from work. Can't wait to fish it.

Quick questions for mikesan or others, when you say "drainage pond," do you mean the kinda back-watery, overgrown area across the road from the main pond? I started my walkabout there and stopped at the little wooden bridge. Lots of growth and sticks. Heard a few loud splashes, but I assumed there aren't fish in there because the water seems to get no aeration. Am I correct?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The drainage pond is past the one with the bridge. It is basically round and looks too shallow to have fish but it does.
Last time I was there it was full of moss but there is still fish. I had one this year at least 5 lbs chase a crank bait but stopped just short.
His back was practically out of the water.

I saw one spawning in the middle pond, (with the wood bridge) that had to be 8 lbs. last year I walked up to the bank where the steel cable is laying and saw what looked like a shadow in the water about 3 feet long. I soon realized it was a cloud of baby bass. Eventually the mom swam by and she was huge.

·
Registered
855 Posts
To start off on a positive note, I caught my first bass yesterday morning! Arrived at 8:45 after dropping my daughter off at camp. Threw wacky senko from the bank closest to tennis courts. After 30 min, I landed the attached fish. Pretty easy peasy. Nothing else after. Tried a 3-6' crank bait for the last 15 minutes. Left at 10:15 for work.

Came back at 3:30. Fished the reservoir side until 5:30. Could see several decent size fish between the wooden bridge and bank with wire cabling on the ground. Fished all open bank spots between the two, throwing weightless black creature bait, wacky senko, top water silver Rapala (I guess it's called a crankbait), and drop shot with 6" roboworm. Not a nibble other than a perch trying to strike a submerged piece of pollen stuck to my line. Rather disappointing, but I chalk it up to it being the hottest part of the day.

Going back today for a full day of bank fishing, canoe fishing and playing with me Hawkeye portable fish and depth finder. Wife's away and I shall play!

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Are you rotating your bait colors? I'll go through my spectrum based on conditions and time of day before I switch out my bait type. If I had a bite on a WR Senko and it stops, it could be the sun is higher and you need a brighter/natural color.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Went back Saturday morning and caught a significantly larger (to me) fish! Same wacky Senko at about 7:15. Rest of the weekend was not fruitful, but mostly due to idiocy on my part.

After a bit more reading, I've decided to focus on a few lures and tactics for awhile. After I've picked up a few different color Senkos for wacky rigging (although the recommendations all seem to be shades of green). And I'm trying my hand at buzzbaits for top water. Picked up three different colors in two different brands. I got a few other things -- including the rooster tail and chatterbait mentioned in this thread and some spinners -- but I'm putting those and the other soft plastics in storage for a bit.

P.S. I need to work on my photography. This angle makes the fish look much smaller than they are. This second one was the biggest fish I've ever caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Returned Tuesday and fished the round pond from 7:45 - 9:30pm. I wanted to practice with the 2 buzzbaits that I had prepped and tuned per YouTube videos. Driving around town earlier in the day with them ziptied to my wipers was fun. Unfortunately got the chartreuse Booyah Buzz caught in some reeds pretty quickly. Stupid, stupid. So I switched to the black Cavitron for the rest of the evening.

Wind was calm with a few clouds. Sun was typical, and I tried to work the shady spots. Water was pretty clear to slightly stained. Rotated around all of the available bank spots.

About 30 minutes in and from the side opposite of the boat slip, I got my first strike. Hilariously the fish was right by the bank ~8 feet away from me. I just happened to retrieve the lure right on top of it. POP! Didn't hook. Would have been a nice fish.

Second strike popped when I was back on the boat slip around 8:45 (sun was almost gone). Cast was half way from slip to the opposite trees. The strike surprised me and I don't think I really set the hook. Reeled it in for a bit before it jumped out of the water and off the hook. It also could have been that I installed the trailer hook backwards -- faced down/opposite from the lure hook. I found out after I got home and watched a few vids. Fish and learn...

Rest of the evening was unfruitful. But I was able to improve my buzzbait form -- worked on reeling right at splashdown, varying speed, etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hope the OP doesn't mind me turning this tread into my personal bank report log.

Friday 8:45 - 10:30am
Fairly cloudy. Sun only broke through around 10:00. Pretty windy.
Threw wacky Senko (watermelon with black flakes) exclusively. Worked it very slowly. Note: Black buzzbait has brought me no joy after a week of trial.
Big lake, near tennis courts

At 9:00, I caught this small guy throwing perpendicular from bank. First fish I brought up in awhile, so it brought a smile to my face. Was also able to improve my photo angle. :)

By about 9:30, I threw parallel to left bank, which has a long grassy patch. On this first cast I got a strike. Seemed to be about the same weight as earlier small fish upon reeling, but hook popped out early. Next cast into the same area hooked a big(ger) one. Fought much harder and jumped out about 20 feet from me. Leader line snapped right below the Alberto knot!

Seeing it on the jump, it would have been comparable to the 2nd fish I posted above. Disappointed to lose it, but it was the first time I've had strikes back-to-back. And three strikes in one session. So I'm much more hopeful.

IMG_1350.jpg

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sleepswithfishes, Hyde Park Quarries is across Mopac from The Domain. There is a high school/church, sports fields, a quarry "lake" and two ponds.

Lake Information and Policies (Recreation Ministry)

Caught this guy on Saturday (seemed just a bit smaller than biggest one above). Same location, same senko.
IMG_1354.jpg

Had some fun switching to a white rooster tail on the round pond later in the morning. Caught two dinks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts