Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hectic weekend with the family and kids - desperately needed to get some fishing in and come up for air before heading back to work. So, despite the gusty wind, I snuck down for a quick hour of fishing at sundown near longhorn dam. It was pretty sloppy. Lots of wind and trash bobbing around. I was just wandering the bank and tossing a t-rigged trick worm here and there. I make a cast from part of the bank that’s about 5 feet up from the water and think “sh*t if I get a fish I don’t know how I’m going to land it” and as that thought crossed my mind, it gets slammed about 10 feet out. Hardly had time to set the hook - the rod just loaded up on its own. I set the hook and about 15 more yards of line peels off. Buttoned down the drag and the fish peeled about 15 more yards of line off, straight out toward the middle of the lake. I’m excited - this is a good fish and its angry. Turned the fish around and the thing just freight trains toward a big lay about 15 yards down the shore from me which I know from experience is a snaggy mess. I decide that I’m gonna have to get down to the shore so I take two steps and slide down about a 45 degree angle to the shore. In doing so, I lost my balance and waved my hands around to catch my self from goin face first into the water. Steady myself, reel like hell, and I see my mangled trick worm skating across the surface back to me. Slack line. Never saw the fish, never jumped or anything - but based on how it was fighting, probably would have been a new PB for me. Bummer. Fished for 20 more mins for a strike from a dink. Cast into a particularly strong gust of wind and ended up with the backlash from hell. Decided to call it a night.

On at 7 pm, off around 8:15. Probably 20 mph gusts, 4-5 feet of visibility, lots of trash and a few drunk paddle boarders with a long paddle back into the rapidly setting sun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts