Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gt at 630am. already a truck in the russell lot with the owner wading the swim beach! he had one tickle all morning...i had 2 tickles and a blast that missed...again, 99% of the topwater explosions were just outa reach, but i kept casting the skimmer and kept my fingers crossed...got 2 tickles on a yamamoto 3" tate pencil in baby bass (a guy at the ramp, who was throwing a rooster tail, said he thought they were chasing minnows, so i downsized...) yamamoto stopped making/offering these, so see if you can get one off ebay. of course, i have a bunch, lol...they are the best SMALL topwater i have found. also have a coupla larger as well. i coulda retired a year earlier if i hadnt bought a dozen of everything i think will be 'IT'...
anyway, after 3.5 hours of torture, i headed to bass pro and got one of those Huk neck/face sun protectors in blue/white/black camo. gonna start wearing one at HEB.
then, i hit pokey jo's for some ribs and brisket, which i ate in the brushy pkg lot. i didnt stare at the beautiful joggers, either.
last night i had found an evergreen sb105 i had purchased ($17) last summer when i visited tackle warehouse in san luis obispo, so i threw it from the brushy dock for an hour. got blasted once, but the fish missed the lure entirely! i like this lure. it almost stays in place when very gently walking it; like it's wounded and cant swim correctly. i give it a 98/100, along with the azuma, yo zuri, and a 97/100 for the heddon. all in clear finish. yamamoto gets 95/100. all great topwaters! the skimmer gets 99/100 only cuz i have to scrape the paint off the grande model and paint it with clear nail polish. :) i still throw it 90% of the time, but i'm open to experimenting with other lures as well, as most of us are.
it's funny how when you fish the same spots at brushy, you start recognizing dogs, and i like to call out to 'em, and their owners are always friendly as well. i enjoy watching the smiles on dogs as they get outa the house and experience nature. i guess we have a lot in common.

the bbq was incredible! pokey jo's has become my go to spot. the potato salad is really great as well.
weather looks bad tomorrow. will play it by ear.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My favorite BBQ place is PoKey Jos. Bill, you’d like the corporate chef. He got his picture in Fortune magazine back when he merched for the Dead.

The buffs we wear on the water are coming in handy for the pandemic. I prefer the buffs to all the different boutique and industrial masks I’ve tried.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts