Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
weather cleared up, so hit the cove. all the black ducks cleared out...except one. it was across the way acting like he had a stroke. since i was gonna walk around to get on that south side to get outa the wind anyway, i kept an eye on it while casting arouund. noticed something shiny on it's back. by the time i got to it, a bunch of family members arrived on the other side. i tried coaxing the duck to the shore, but it was 4ft away. could see the line wrapped around his neck, and his breathing was not good. coupla kids from the fam came over, and the boy got in the water and picked up the duck. it was exhausted, and allowed us to work on it with no problem. line wrapped tightly. could barely breath. i eventually got under the line and cut it, and the kids removed the rest with a smooth tug. poor duck was so pooped it could hardly lift its head, so we left it on shore to recover.

kids went back to the dock side of the cove, and i stayed on the south side throwing lures.
found the lure from a few days ago, along with its little brother!
20210205_151406.jpg

then found a new lure that had been snagged.
20210205_153120.jpg

worked my way back to the duck, but couldnt see it where we had left it. then i saw it swimming off and yelled to the family and we all celebrated! it was pretty neat. i feel sorry for animals. glad i dont have to hunt for food, lol...

part of the fam was visiting from alaska!!! they have great fishing up there, apparently. but the winters are horrible. like, minus 40. F that... we had a nice visit, which made the lack of catching bearable...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good job! over the years we've pulled line, lure and what-not from many a water fowl. Most times they fight like hell but I do remember once the bird fought when we approached, but quieted right down once we caught him and began cutting the line around him. i love happy endings!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well done Bill. And I agree. We had a fawn caught in the fence once and she was going crazy. Once we got a hold of her she calmed right down and let us cut her loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts