Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got up super early. parked truck near gate. hated leaving it there, but wanted an early start, and the gate doesnt open til 6. the walk down the road to the swim beach and to my hot spot was fine. the sky was super dark, and i could see jupiter, saturn, and mars. and a crescent moon. and it was a beautiful morning! and it was gonna get even more beautiful...

was definitely excited to try the 105 with that spinner treble up front. those hooks are friggin sharp! i stabbed myself last night, and almost cried. i mean i did cry, but there were no tears. i dont know if that counts as crying or not.

1st cast at 5:36. eatin' 2 bear claws with a giant coffee in between the action. coffee almost got cold! 3rd cast got slammed ten ft away, and within 15min did catch a fish. yeah! paid attention to the time cuz i wanted to see if it was worth the earlier start. by 6:06 i had 4 blowups, with one caught. i debated in what's left of my mind whether i wanted to do it again. i definitely like the early start, and the amazing skies, and the perfect solitude. the walk back up was the determining factor.

as it started getting light, the topwater activity gradually increased...a bunch... let me tell ya, that spinner treble is incredible! that added flash is quite the attractor! i started getting slammed, and occasionally crushed, and i knew the difference had to be the spinner, cuz that was the only difference in what i do every morning. 3rd fish caught was that darn gar. what a fighter! very next cast got smeared by a 2lb white bass. he's lucky i catch and release instead of hot grease...

by 7:01 i was at 32 blowups and 8 caught, with a couple that got off. that's usually the time the bite stops. but it kept going for 30min before tapering off. probably cuz there were no boats, lol...just kidding! c'mon! wound up with 44 blow ups and 10 caught, which was great cuz i prefer even numbers. i think that's the best numbers i've had on top at GT.

that spinner is going on all my lures. once it got light enough, you could see it flash like the lights on an airplane when you cast it. just tons of silver flash! just like the baitfish, uh huh...

i split around 8:30. headed for academy and more spinner trebles in size #2, which was fine. i was worried that size would reach the split ring and cause a mess. never happened. they had 4 packages left, and i grabbed em all. was also concerned with reviews that the spinner falls off when attacked, but in 44 slams, and difficult hook removals, it held up fine. the lure needs another coat of nail polish with silver flakes, though...

oh yeah, i did make my way around swim bch to the russell ramp. the walk up the ramp, then up the road, was not much fun. doable, but not fun. the greatest concern for me was leaving the truck up there at the gate. i guess i have to still consider doing it again. dang, the sky and the moment was really fantastic. probably play it by ear. if i get up super early, and i'm feeling it, i might go. if the alarm wakes me at 5 (like, once a month) i'll just get to the gate at 6 and drive down. i know it gets lighter earlier til june 21th, so i have to figure that into the equation.

and, yeah, you'll get a spinner on your 105, robert. :)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's one of those selfies like Jeremy always takes. Apparently ya have to hold the fish in front of the camera. Dang technology...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts