Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
monday, monday...
couldnt get off the couch at 4:20am. back was killing me. bad right foot. finally got going, arriving at gate at 5:38, which doesnt open til 6. waited...
was also a bit concerned with the walk from the gate parking lot to the sweet spot, then back. it looks super far on maps, but i'm definitely gonna try it tomorrow. i gotta be casting at 5am instead of 6. missing too much action. and it was plenty light out when i left the truck. and there was plenty of action.
1st cast got smashed, but no hookup. 2nd cast got smashed, with a hookup. things were hopping with attacks, but not a good hookup ratio. had several hook up, then get off. had the 105 get knocked into the air twice, with no hookup! even a crane took a swipe at it and missed! was at 19 blowups with 4 caught, when a boat came into the area round 6:40. that's when the party ended.
i am a boat owner. got nothing against boats fishing wherever they want, as long as they stay a cast away. i dont want to hit their boat! that actually happened on bastrop! dont go trolling where a person is casting! in fact, i will usually point out where the action is. and the action (schooling) was a coupla hundred yards offshore.
anyway, this boat was about where the 2 were yesterday. all good. no problema. except both mornings the bite disappeared when the boats appeared. coincidence? probably. maybe. maybe not. this boat was moving very slowly through the sweet spot, as the wind was maybe 1mph from the south. does a boat moving through a spot cause the fish to move out? i've read yes and no. but for the last 2 mornings, something flipped the fish switch. please understand; i'm not trying to start a debate. i'm a friggin' boat owner myself, lol. just pointing out that a change in the environment may have changed the fishing. just describing what happened.
wound up with 26 blowups, and 4 caught. all were not big. none were big. they were all small.
i split at 9 and headed for academy to get more split rings. also got a hook with a doohickee.
also discovered that BOGO means buy one, get one. thought they had shirts at half off. no, you gotta buy one to get half off another one.
also, i like the 105 with a little bit of sparkly nail polish on it. adds that extra flash. i mean, if you're covering all the bases, you'll have ALL the bases covered!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Size #2. Might be too yuge. Reaches front split ring. Also, reviews are concerned with blade falling off too easily. It's been happening, apparently...We'll see tomorrow. Definitely gotta have a sure set on the back! Also, I think you can see the sparkly finish, which still allows a ton of light through, and creates more subtle flash as well. TW emailed that 3 more 105's have shipped. Mommy!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Spinner on the front, sureset on the back? Edit to say I wrote this before you posted the pic

I am very fortunate to fish with the most courteous angler ever. Todd will let you back down the ramp first, he will let you into the cove first, he will let me make the first cast, he will even let me run the trolling motor. If I see he has a lure I’d like to try, he will give it to me (it was probably yours first anyway!)

I agree that the jury is out on whether or not the arrival of the boat was the determining factor of the bite stopping. But I’d like to think most anglers are aware that two cast-lengths is the appropriate MINIMUM spacing between anglers in open water. In a wide open cove it is discourteous for someone to come in and start casting “in front“ of you. In a “community hole” a little crowding is expected. But when I’m in a watercraft, I try to be very respectful of bank and pier anglers and give them an extra-wide berth, even though passing closer would probably have little or no affect on their fishing success.

In my younger days when I waded in Galveston Bay, I considered it very rude when a boat would pass between me and the shoreline. Some people don’t know better.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and, again, these GT guys were in a perfect spot as far as distance. just wondering if their presence was a factor. itsy bitsy teenie weenie sample size. plus, i'm definitely gonna be there around 5am tomorrow. that'll leave the entire bank to myself, lol. that should be 'me' instead of 'myself', i think. anyway...that should be 2 solid hours of topwater madness!
i would never wade in salt. too dangerous! sharks, rays, flesh eating bacteria... and, yeah, any boat that passes between a wader and the shore should be fired upon!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Gulf Coast Bay Rule: Never eat oysters or wet wade with open sores in any month without an “r” in it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why get out of a perfectly fine boat? Not for me!
Here's a pic from the other day when both these fish were on the same treble. One just got off. Camera delay messed up the shot when they were still both hooked up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts