Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
action was not as pronounced as in previous days, but still managed some exciting topwater action!

very slight breeze from NNW. still a bit scared to throw the clear 105 in case the breeze carried it away, so i threw the 105 in skeleton chartreuse. 2nd cast got slammed by a 2ft gar! managed a couple others before switching to the azuma in clear. picked up a few more. all were a pound or less, but great fighters!

coupla guys in boats were right in the area. they did stay beyond my casts, but i wonder if their presence affected the bite. they certainly have every right to be there. just wondering if that does slow the top action. still, i had a blast. then things slowed waaaaay down. i checked the time. 7:01. almost like clockwork the fish just quit.

wound up with 20 strikes. 7 caught.

strike #19 was awesome. waded off swim beach, throwing at a buoy. bringing it back, and about 15ft out a wake came up behind the lure. looked like a submarine. it gave a half-azzed effort of a strike. still, that is an amazing feeling when you get to see something like that.

tomorrow the weather is gonna be ideal. thinking about getting there at 5, parking near the entry bldg, and walking down to get a super early start, since the gate doesnt open til 6. i know the top bite doesnt start at 6, then end at 7. fish dont wear watches. i'm betting they start earlier than 6...and i'd like to be there!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was in the silver boat, don't think myself or the other guy had any impact on the fish. They were blowing up eveywhere around us, but kind of died out at 7 like you said. If it makes you feel any better, they weren't doing much anywhere else after that. I caught 6 whites, all unders, either on a SS Jr or clear baby chug bug

·
Registered
29 Posts
action was not as pronounced as in previous days, but still managed some exciting topwater action!

very slight breeze from NNW. still a bit scared to throw the clear 105 in case the breeze carried it away, so i threw the 105 in skeleton chartreuse. 2nd cast got slammed by a 2ft gar! managed a couple others before switching to the azuma in clear. picked up a few more. all were a pound or less, but great fighters!

coupla guys in boats were right in the area. they did stay beyond my casts, but i wonder if their presence affected the bite. they certainly have every right to be there. just wondering if that does slow the top action. still, i had a blast. then things slowed waaaaay down. i checked the time. 7:01. almost like clockwork the fish just quit.

wound up with 20 strikes. 7 caught.

strike #19 was awesome. waded off swim beach, throwing at a buoy. bringing it back, and about 15ft out a wake came up behind the lure. looked like a submarine. it gave a half-azzed effort of a strike. still, that is an amazing feeling when you get to see something like that.

tomorrow the weather is gonna be ideal. thinking about getting there at 5, parking near the entry bldg, and walking down to get a super early start, since the gate doesnt open til 6. i know the top bite doesnt start at 6, then end at 7. fish dont wear watches. i'm betting they start earlier than 6...and i'd like to be there!
Thanks for the posts! It's been a few years since I've used this site. You inspired me to get back out there and try the top water action. Went to Point Venture and threw the Pop R for a couple of hours, had several misses and caught two. It was fun to get back out there!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was in the silver boat, don't think myself or the other guy had any impact on the fish. They were blowing up eveywhere around us, but kind of died out at 7 like you said. If it makes you feel any better, they weren't doing much anywhere else after that. I caught 6 whites, all unders, either on a SS Jr or clear baby chug bug
i have just been used to a lot more activity in that area, which made me wonder if the boats were keeping them down, or scattering them, or something. still was a good morning! you guys were very courteous, as i try to be when i'm on my boat and there are bank fishers, kayaks, etc.
i really think i'm gonna get there around 5am and walk down to get more early action. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts! It's been a few years since I've used this site. You inspired me to get back out there and try the top water action. Went to Point Venture and threw the Pop R for a couple of hours, had several misses and caught two. It was fun to get back out there!
get an azuma z dog in clear! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts