Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st cast 550am. In the next hour I had 51 strikes, 11 hookups, landed 6! In one hour! It was fast and furious, as you can imagine!
Threw the sb77, but with the smaller hooks, too many misses and get offs. But that's alright, cuz I had a blast!

Now for the secret to success...you gotta get in the water up to your ankles. That's when your bait gets crushed. Not sure why that works, but every time I got in the water the Topwater bite went bonkers.

Also used an sb105 and caught 1.

Nice moon!
Water Cloud Sky Lake Liquid

Went to Jonestown, but the park was kinda closed cuz the water is super low...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also....gar were darting across the surface chasing breakfast. reminded me of the action you see on the coast. gar seemed to dominate from shoreline to about 40ft out.

and in jonestown, as 1431 curves left, before the left turn at the light to get to the park, is a texaco station on the right i used to frequent on the way to lago vista golf course. gooood mexican food! ate 2 yuge chicken tamales. i mean yuge...

oh yeah...so i'm standing there at sandy point casting way left of the buoy, and this little boat with electric motor is heading towards me. i did another cast, but the dude kept coming! he passed, literally, about 2/3's of the distance i cast. had to quickly reel in! i stared at him shaking my head, but he went on thru, staring back at me, with one foot over the side.

Water Cloud Sky Plant Boat

from now on i just start shooting....lol...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it always seems to be about 30% landed over the years. a lot of the topwater attacks are fish trying to stun their prey, then circling back to inhale. it's like they're trying to slap it, which results in a lot of side hooks. doesnt seem to matter what size hooks, either. size 2 gets slapped as much as size 6 or 8, which are smaller, but they all are 30%.
now i wish i had been paying attn to the side hook numbers over the years, but it's tough enough keeping the other 3 numbers straight.
the thing i like about topwater is this; even the strikes are exciting as heck! had one today hit the lure about 5ft out, and it startled the heck outa me! even tho it was a miss, it was still exciting!
and when you get hit multiple times on a single retrieve...well...hard to beat that! my record is 8, at bastrop, on the day i had 104 strikes and boated 30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts