Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to Granger tomorrow. I am wanting to pick up some live bait so my son can fish with me. I called the Exxon right there in Circleville and they have medium minnows for $3.50 a dozen and large for $4 a dozen. Seems pricy but I haven't seen many options around the area or on the way. I live in Pflugerville off of 130/45. Does anyone know where I can go to get some minnows, crickets and worms?

Also, I've had a hard time in the past launching my canoe at the free spot off of 347. Theres not much of a ramp, more like just a drop off. Any advice for putting in anywhere thats either a little more accessible or is it better at the free spot since like 2014?

Lastly, looking for crappie, whites and perch. Can you eat the fish out of Granger/ San Gabriel? Any advice for an ice chest full of any of those types? Thanks in advance. (had a couple spinal fusions thats why I'm looking for an easily accessible spot).

THANKS!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
launching at granger

I'm headed to Granger tomorrow. I am wanting to pick up some live bait so my son can fish with me. I called the Exxon right there in Circleville and they have medium minnows for $3.50 a dozen and large for $4 a dozen. Seems pricy but I haven't seen many options around the area or on the way. I live in Pflugerville off of 130/45. Does anyone know where I can go to get some minnows, crickets and worms?

Also, I've had a hard time in the past launching my canoe at the free spot off of 347. Theres not much of a ramp, more like just a drop off. Any advice for putting in anywhere thats either a little more accessible or is it better at the free spot since like 2014?

Lastly, looking for crappie, whites and perch. Can you eat the fish out of Granger/ San Gabriel? Any advice for an ice chest full of any of those types? Thanks in advance. (had a couple spinal fusions thats why I'm looking for an easily accessible spot).

THANKS!!
Are you a disabled vet ? If you are and have the license plate you can get in any launch ramp for free, also free parking at the airport parking lots.

Thanks , John

·
Registered
236 Posts
I fish Granger quite often and buy minnows at the circleville store you mentioned. That is your best option for live minnows(buy the medium). That is a pretty average price for minnows in central Texas.

I would recommend launching at Willis creek park and doing the short paddle into Willis creek from there. I have launched from the primitive site and other areas with drop offs and it makes it really tricky.

You will find crappie and whites in the creek and they are good to eat so no worries. The water in Granger is turbid/muddy looking but that is why the crappie are there. Have yet to catch a perch in Granger so can't help with that.

Good luck! I may be out there tomorrow or might go to LBJ?? Depends on the wind which can be very scary at Granger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the wind which can be very scary at Granger.

I checked the weather report, says 5-10mph.

I was hoping to stay off the main lake anyway. I've fished the free launch area and it's pretty guarded from the wind. I was wondering how hard it would be to paddle (canoe) in from Taylor park ramp? OR is Willis better right now?

The main reason I wanted to fish the river was being able to catch crappie and whites.
Has anyone found really great perch fishing? I need a good fish fry!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I misunderstood and thought you were wanting to fish Willis creek from the 347 and not the San Gabriel river. Willis creek park would not be anywhere close to paddling distance for the San Gabriel River.

I am estimating launching from Taylor park will give you an approx. 3-4 mile paddle to get into the river and you will be crossing the main lake to get there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would go to willis park,you can use the ramp to launch canoe and short paddle to willis creek and maybe good crappie if not too early in the year.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How did you do? I caught 2 crappie, one white and one perch up Willis creek Monday. Did not use any live bait. Just jigs tipped with a crappie nibble. IMG_20160229_132038.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice, I'm thinking of trying my luck out there either up Willis creek or up the river via kayak within the next week or so

1 - 13 of 13 Posts