Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robert and I fished our bass tournament on Saturday.  I caught this 22 1/8" 6.5 lber. on watermelon red Zoom lizard Texas rigged at the dam along with 4 others from 2-4 lbs.  
Robert caught his 15+ lbs. for best 5 fish on DD22 and Lure Jenson Hot Lips both in firetiger color in 20-25 feet deep.

I will have to wait until after Friday to give out our total weight for best 5 fish after every one elses weight slips have been turned in.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Sad part was I lost two that big or bigger at the boat...One on a DD-22 Pearl White and the other one on a Luhr Jenson Hotlips 3/4oz Crankbait. Both spit the lure back at me....Frustrating especially during a tournament. My biggest fish came on a Zell Pop Topwater lure.

Tough bite for me, but the all the fish were quality size. No dinks. My shoulder hurt after a full day of cranking DD-22 and Lure Jenson 3/4oz crankbaits...LOL.

Here a couple of pics off my cell phone of Gene's nice fish. Congrats to getting in the boat.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Robert after reading about the DD-22 I was gonna ask how your arm feels but you answered that ;D I've having some success with shallower cranks but I might have to break out the DD-22. Can't really see myself cranking that thing for a few hours though. Nice sack btw.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great fish.

I was also out there on Sat. from 12:30 to 2:30 and caught 12 fish. My best 5 would have been about 22lbs. Biggest was a 6. i wish I could have stayed out a little longer but my daughters softball practice was calling.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bad thing was, we saw both of Roberrt's fish that got off at the boat, and one looked about the size of mine and the other one would have been a 8 or 9 lber. ....easy. Very frustrating for us. We would have had an even bigger best 5 and probably won first place for sure. We'll see on next Tuesday night how we did. Hopefully second or third place, but glad others in our club caught some great sized fish.
Was a beautiful full moon above the water.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Luhr Jenson 3/4oz Batman Color Crankbait. Hot Lips Express Crankbait 3/4 oz, [highlight]Runs 18ft to 24ft deep[/highlight]. Body is 3 1/4" and body plus bill is 5 3/16" long.

DD-22 Bill Norman Crankbait is Bull Bream
Weight: 5/8 oz.
Length: 3"
(*Length Of Lure Does Not Include Bill Length )
[highlight]Depth: 15-18 ft.[/highlight]
Line: 10 lb.
Action: Medium Action

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Ranger, how far away from the rocks are you fishing those DD's? Are you bumping the bottom or suspended? I have lost a few lures there geting hung up on the rocks.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
If you do not hit the rocks, then you need to re-cast. You will also get hung up..but should be able to free them. However, after a ARM-TIRING cranking day, I finally lost my luhr jensen crankbait. It got hung up and broke off. Should of re-tied. I was SOL.

Remember, this pattern is excellent on Lake Travis too.....Stay in contact with rocky bank or cliff...once on bottom, slowly crank while hitting rocks...Hang on...Mostly big fish hit these.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have also used the DD22 firetiger colored crank bait and caught my personal best LMB last fall on Lake Georgetown when the water was down over 16feet. I was trolling behind my boat with the DD22 between Cedar Breaks Park and Jim Hogg Park and caught a 8.1 lber. and then a 6+ lber. Have been hooked on the DD22 ever since. It is my second most favorite lure after the Excallibur Zellpop topwater lure. Robert and I have caught a lot of fish in the last 3 years on those 2 lures.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Really good report guys. A lot of the "reports" on here consist of a photo and bragging. ;D Thanks for sharing specifics and even included a picture of the bait. I purchased one of the Hot Lips Cranks awhile back, maybe it's time to take it out of the package!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well we got 3rd place at the bass club meeting tonight...not bad and glad everyone caught some good fish. We had 21.26 lbs for our best 5 fish, the 2nd place team had 21.40 lbs, and 1st place team had almost 24 lbs. I had the Big Bass for the tournament with my 6.50 lber. We had over 200 lbs. caught by the 22 people that fished and the average weight was 3.21 lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.