Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday morning i took my 10 year old fishing on Barton Creek. We caught a few sunfish on crickets and meal worms where the creek empties into Lady Bird Lake. Weeds were a bother so we moved a little upstream. Turtles were annoying there so we moved further upstream. Eventually we got to a gin clear pool that looked easy to fish. My son tried again for sunfish and caught a few dinks.

Then I noticed three good sized bass moving about on the bottom. Spawning? I rigged up a chartreuse Mr. Twister jig and started casting beyond the bass and then trying to drag it over their noses. I got a few follows and a couple of bumps. Right about when it was about time to leave, I made a good cast and it was going right over one of them(maybe 22" long") and I let it sink back toward him when he(she?) sucked it in. It gave quite a nice fight until the line broke.

I will be going back to try again as soon as I can.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sounds like the bass at Lost Creek....they'll literally watch you walk along the bank when the water's clear.

I've also noticed that less is definitely more when it comes to action. Very occasionally a smaller fish will chase a moving worm, but most of my bigger fish almost always bite after a slow drop to the bottom on an un-weighted worm.

Last thing: There's a huge tree underwater on the north-east side of the footbridge. I've seen a bunch of huge bass living under and around it, but it's a bit tricky on the bank access, lots of trees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After last nights heavy rain, Barton Creek was no longer gin clear. There was a lot of debris in the water from runoff. I was quickly discouraged and left to scout some more fishing holes. I wonder how long it will take for it to clear?

·
Registered
159 Posts
It won't take long at all. Good job on getting that bass to bite they are very finnicky in there. I have had my best luck in the middle of the winter when the lake temps are pretty cold and there are very few kayakers/runners/swimmers/dogs in there. I think I had a day where I caught 16 really nice bass in there this past winter. It was one of the coldest days we had and there was literally no one down there. Limey is right also by saying that a slow sinking plastic is the way to go there. Good luck.

Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts