Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G-Town had top water action until 3PM today. Blacks, whites, hybrid and one crappie all fell to the mighty Sammy. I lost count at 30 fish today, this was the best day I have had on this lake in 6 months. Even though I was throwing the Sammy I bet they would have bit on anything. The big black was 3 pounds and the hybrid was near the same but short. Whites seemed small except for a few pounders.

Good times!

MW

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Overlook Park........free, but you'll have to hike your Yak about a 1/4 mile to the cove on the right. I constantly fish the 1st cove there and always catch at least a dozen white bass, with an occasional hybrid. Often crowded along the shore since it's the only free park.

·
Registered
351 Posts
tooslow, the Sammy is made by Lucky Craft Lures. The only place I know to find them is at Sportsman's Warehouse in Round Rock but they are going out of business and probably don't have any left. Walmart & Academy do not carry them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
7452415649534845414C53200 said:
Overlook Park........free, but you'll have to hike your Yak about a 1/4 mile to the cove on the right. I constantly fish the 1st cove there and always catch at least a dozen white bass, with an occasional hybrid.  Often crowded along the shore since it's the only free park.
Thanks for the info, Travisheals

Is the morning being the best time for fishing over there? so I can catch the topwater events, does popper lure work as good as "walk the dog" lure? I know sammy is kinda "walk the dog" lure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Watch your finder and look for the schooling whites.  When the whites school all the other species seem to be close.  If the whites are hitting the top then fish the top, if not use spoons or Carolina rig (for the blacks).  Or you can fish the traditional jig which seems to be successful on this lake for a lot of people except me.  Watch for the balled up shad.

As for what topwater to use, anything with a whites underside, the top colors and motion don't seem to matter as long as you are in the right place at the right time.

I caught this the other day on a topwater when the white were schoolin...Anything goes on the top at G-Town!!

MW

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I fish anytime and always have some luck. Normally slow in the mid-afternoon. I use all kinds of lures and have at least a little luck with everything. A lot of folks out there use liver and catch tons of fish.  I used night crawlers from Academy (big live worms) and had a great day last Friday. I'm just guessing NOW is the time of year!

I have no boat...strictly from shore.

·
Registered
537 Posts
7C7960677A7C610E0 said:
tooslow, the Sammy is made by Lucky Craft Lures.  The only place I know to find them is at Sportsman's Warehouse in Round Rock but they are going out of business and probably don't have any left.  Walmart & Academy do not carry them.
Cabbelas has some of the sammys

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Baby Bass and Ghost Blue Shad.  I think anything with a white belly will work though.  The butt drops when action stops, this is when the bait get inhaled or right as the bait hits the water.  I have also had luck with the super spook in white.  Most of mine are 115, I do have a 65 for those days you just feel like catching 200+ whites!! :D

MW

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.