Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys and I decided to wake up early and get out on the lake. We were passing Jim hog ramp and noticed something kinda struggling in the water in the middle of the lake. We came up on this big buck swimming to the other side of the lake. He was huffing and puffing. We followed the buck until he made it to land. When he got there he collapsed.
Here he is

Fishing Report:
Cold and Slow most of the morning. Did manage a few bass from Carolina Rigged Lizzard on Rocks banks. Got a couple from jigs and plastics around Isolated timber. If you were around the main timber no bites.

Pics of my boys and a bass they got. And One of Me !!

Happy New Year ABF. May 2009 be Blessed and not as Terrible as 2008.

Bendo and Family

· Registered
4,330 Posts
WOW, that's cool. Did you see the hunter that chased it into the water. LOL. Thanks for the report and pics!

· Banned
1,633 Posts
Great picture.  Gotta love being outdoors and seeing stuff like that.  Reminds me of 2 similiar incidents I witnessed during my time on the water.  One was back home in Destin, Florida where some friends rescued a deer that was mis-oriented and swam off the beach and into the Gulf of Mexico and the other was when I was running my old Tracker Deep V on L.A. and saw a person swimming across the lake that turned out to be a coyote.

Best wishes for a properous New Year to you as well...

-Rude-

· Registered
472 Posts
I've seen deer swimming across the Fayette discharge a couple times, up above the buoy line. By the time they got across they could barely make it up on the bank.

No idea why they did it. From the looks of things, once they got across they didn't know why they did it either.

Happy New Year everyone!

· Registered
3,688 Posts
When I was 12 I was duck hunting with a friend of the family on Lake Sam Rayburn and we saw a big 8 point swimming across the lake, talk about a long swim. Anyways I shot it (Not knowing that I couldnt) and broke about 7 laws and my dad made me turn myself in to the Game Warden. I lurned a big leson and I will never do that again, Good thing was the Game Warden just made me give the meet up and I could not keep anything off of the deer and that was the end of it.

Chris

P.S. Don't EVER shoot a deer in the water ;)

· Registered
65 Posts
About a month or so ago I was fishing LA early near the lower end of commons ford park when I hear some splashing. I turn around and there are two does at least halfway across heading my way. I made a cast back to where I was fishing and I guess they heard me at that point, as they turned and headed back the way they came. Unfortunately they landed on a bit of a rocky spot and struggled to get out, but made it.

Saw a bull elk swimming across Navajo Lake in NM once...pretty spectacular actually with the giant set of horns sticking out of the water (he made it too)

Happy New Year! (hope the recoveries are going well  ;) )

-Tazz

· Registered
1,443 Posts
 I wrestled a very tired doe into the boat in the middle of Stillhouse one time. I've also seen one swimming at Bastrop. I think the :-? deer were trying to get away from dogs, both times.
 I left the one at Stillhouse at the marina......it was exhausted. they called TPWD for advice. :-?

· Registered
57 Posts
My wife and I were trolling for stripers on Buchanan and saw 4 deer swimming together. We thought they were ducks from a distance, but they made it all the way to garrett island. Now I know for sure there are deer on the island.

· Registered
144 Posts
Neat pictures, I saw the same thing on Lake Austin last year, two deer came down to the edge and swam across just like they did it on a daily basis. But that distance was no where near as far as crossing Georgetown.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.