Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the lake gets a bad rap but surely some of y'all are at least attempting to cast a line in the area? Being that there aren't any phenomenal spots (at least to my knowledge) in the area, I figured it would be easy to consolidate your catches into one general Gtown thread.

Ive been riding my bike down the San Gabriel trail and cast a line wherever I see fit. Managed to pull these out yesterday and today. I know they aren't exactly lunkers, but its better than being skunked!

20180315_090005.jpg 20180314_080440.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had some luck fishing the shore opposite from Russel Park, and also have a blast wading downstream from the big dam at the park in Georgetown. Think its San Gabriel. Get a kayak or let me know and we will get in the boat and fish

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3/16

Morning
Drizzly/Humid/Cool but not cold
Water clarity: stained

Rode my bike down from Bootys park and worked my way past a few different spots. Attempted to try my hand at a chatterbait, got bit about 5 feet off shore, unfortunately missed the hook set. Started working a lipless crank for a bit, to no avail. Eventually ended up switching over to weightless texas rig and tossing it around cover. Managed this perty lady. 20180316_083209.jpg

Continued working the texas rig and tossed around a hollow body frog as well. Texas rig strikes again. 20180316_090854.jpg
Packed it up and decided to move down stream/river? at that point

Mid/Late Morning
Warm/Clear Skies
Water clarity: Stained/clear

Passed a few spots along the trail but didn't spend more then a few minutes at each, might be able to pull one or two out but I chose to move on. Eventually made it to San Gabriel park. (anybody actually fish here with any luck?) Hydrilla as far as the eye could see. I wasn't packing anything heavy enough to punch through the stuff so I headed around to Blue Hole not expecting much. Bucket brigade was out in full force so i followed a trail as far away from them as manageable. Bagged these two and called it a day. 20180316_104136.jpg Aw how precious. 20180316_111527.jpg Not a bad note to end on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had some luck fishing the shore opposite from Russel Park, and also have a blast wading downstream from the big dam at the park in Georgetown. Think its San Gabriel. Get a kayak or let me know and we will get in the boat and fish
When you say opposite Russel Park, would that be Cedar Breaks area? And the big dam to me is the lake dam, thats not what you meant right? I have pulled a few decent ones out of that little reservoir behind there. If your talking about San Gabriel, you would be wading under the overpass then correct?

Im working on getting a yak this summer. Im a teacher so the summer gig usually funds my toys :sport4:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, found this map of "fish attractors" , georgetown_structure.jpg aka cedar trees ,placed in Georgetown Lake. I believe it was some time ago but nonetheless, here it is...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I fished the area south of Russell Park in the coves, against the trees. And no, by the "big dam" I was talking about the dam that forms the small lake at San Gabriel park that is socked in with hydrilla. Wade downstream from there and there are a few decent little pockets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Date/Time:
3/17/18 4:45PM

Conditions:
Overcast/Windy/Stained Water

Lure:
Wacky Rigged green pumpkin finesse worm

20180317_174559.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought Id try out Berry Springs Preserve today....

Conditions:
Overcast/Drizzle/Breezy/Cool
Water:
Clear/LOTS of hydrilla

Thought a frog would be dynamite out there today but unfortunately not. Managed a dink but thats about it. Spotted a few decent size bass, couldn't get them to bite though. I think it gets a fairly decent amount of pressure so the fish are definitely cautious, had a few curious nibbles on a drop shot though. Might have better luck at the actual creek but Im not sure if it runs through private property.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
i drove to russell park yesterday, just to check things out...water was way down...cant imagine i'd bring the boat, but it was interesting to see how gt has built up...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the Bonafide SS127 last week and putted around some in San Gabriel to get her good and slimed, pulled out a few drinks on the T-rig just trying to get comfortable and my bearings. 20180421_172513.jpg

Yesterday at work one of my students created this masterpiece... 20180425_150334.jpg Considering I had the morning off, I thought I better do him justice and go rip some lips. Once again put in along the San Gabriel here in Gtown. 20180427_072305.jpg Pulled this girl in on a blue/black chatterbait a few cast in. 730 AM Water was like glass. Stained clarity. Threw a few different baits throughout the day but ultimately they were pretty lethargic and not chasing much. Had some luck on ol reliable (T-Rig) with a watermelon worm and junebug BBH. 20180427_102959.jpg About 5 or 6 all around this size

Got home about 11 and found some goodies waiting for me so put this little ditty together .... function over fashion. 20180427_154641.jpg

Once I get a proper anchor Ill head out to GT lake and see what I can muster up..stay tuned

Tight lines everyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
20180512_071441.jpg Hooked up with this fella on a blustery day out at Gtown lake. I was throwing a bluegill pattern square bill parallel to a rocky bank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Date: 5/16/18
Body of water: Berry Creek
Weather: Hot! 94 degrees.Blue skies
Time: 430PM

Had a little time after work to kill so thought id go get in a little fishing happy hour. Started tossing around a shaky head with a red bug worm. Got a few nibbles, none of which resulted in actually landing a fish. Started flipping a 3/8 ounce football head with GP craw on it. Targeting brush piles/ shade lines/ rock ledges. Hooked up with this fella first. 20180516_170501.jpg 10 minutes later had the pleasure of hauling this one out.Same bait. 20180516_170934.jpg Tight lines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took a little outing to the banks of the San Gabriel ....

Blue skies/stained water/morning

Started out the day tossing around a hollow body frog. First time ever fishing one, I dont know what took me so long! Had probably 5 fish missed on the hook set, still getting used to the timing of it. But, I did manage this one. 20180526_064259.jpg Worked my way up and down the banks a little while and pulled this one out on a finesse jig/craw trailer. 20180526_090554.jpg Scale unfortunately was "low battery" :thumbsdown: but I think she was a solid 4lbs .Caught a few more decent ones throughout the day hanging out in the shade/along cover. All in all not a bad outing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tried my luck out at Gtown lake today, SKUNKED!!! Focused on some secondary points and coves with standing timber. Threw just about everything I could think of, wasn't getting bit on any of it. Anybody had any luck out there lately?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hit the banks at San Gabriel Park Saturday morning with a little curly tail and crappie jig head...I had a ton of little aggressive baby bass hit, give chase and get caught. I saw another gentleman pull out a cichlid the size of a salad plate. Olive green and speckled with a lump on his head...pretty cool fish. It was an enjoyable couple of hours in a place I hadn't fished before.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put in on the San Gabriel a few days ago, 12/29/18, highs in the mid 40's. Tried to slow a lipless crank way down, suspending jerk bait was no luck, and shaky head/t-rig drew a blank. Conditions were pretty windy and frigid so I didn't expect much, just wanted to get on the water more than anything. Anybody else cast a line lately....fish or no fish?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts