Bass Fishing Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
i plan on being there early...gonna go upriver to see what it looks like once it gets light. launching at russell, gonna fish around there till i can see what's floating...gonna rig thise wacky worms for sure!
probably stop at that last gas station and get a coupla beef fajita tacos and coffee...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
wow! lake covered in wood! couldn't get to my favorite spots! that's why i didn't catch anything for 6 hours...
well...except for a coupla snags...
tomorrow i will conquer gt!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I want to change my name to wackyworm. Thanks for the tip. Best hookset I have ever had. Squarebill worked today in less than 8fow.

Nice to meet you Justin. Great looking Champion

·
Registered
154 Posts
Due to a promised yak trip on GT yesterday afternoon with my wife and 2 of her friends, I left upper LT (Turkey) only landing 2 dinks and 1 carp on a snag. Carp are in full spawn up there and a lot of big gar laying next to bank. Lake looked to be up around 7-9 ft up there and not much debris floating.

Launched 4 yaks at Jim Hogg at 3 pm. The ramp was down to the 2 middle lanes due to mounds wood floating up. In spite of this being a leisurely afternoon paddle with the ladies and acting as safety boat, I cannot get anywhere near a body of water without a couple of rods... Rigged one rod with a suspending lipless jerk/twitch bait (3-4 ft) and the other with a 1/4oz spinner similar to a rooster tail. Trolled both in the holders and 5 min from the ramp on point between 2 coves between Hogg and Russell approx. 8-10 fow spinner landed nice white. Nothing like fighting the slabs on ultra light w/ 8lb braid 15 lb mono shock... Right then I designated my wife safety boat and I made a couple more passes managing 1 more white on the spinner. After that changed one to 1 wacky and other to t-rigged w/ small split shot. Tried inside cove closest to Russel but way to much floating wood from SSE light winds. Moved to area off Russel beach approx 8 fow and had 2 good hits on wacky (1 on motor oil and other trusty pumpkin seed) but no hook set. By then the ladies were headed toward the ramp so I high tailed it to get with the group and make amends for my neglect. While loading up I noticed 2 big tree logs floating right up to the ramp, either would ruin someones day. Since there were several trailers ready to back down and one in the water I couldn't get the 30 ft 30K lb strap on them to yank out but gave fair warning to all.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Gary I'll be your back seater any day on GT after that post... cracked me up! You only live 5 min from the ramp and I 5 miners fom yu ann my cove / haf ah seferal casers! BTW Thanks for providing me with incredibly competitive Homeowners Ins. since moving to GT a few years ago. We do seriously need to do some fishing together sometime.

Well this is not exactly where I planned to jump into ABF but you have to start somewhere... After reading JPB's epic saga it reminds me of my stubbornness when fishing GT that first year... If I would have had a stick of dynamite I would have been mighty tempted to tossed it right on top of one of those honey holes my finder was telling me was down there... Hmmmm, maybe if I would have thrown the kitchen sink at them????? Plain Bill just keep after em buddy and don't take that earlier tip about weightless wackeys lightly.

Going to upper LT early am to scout conditions, CPR a few LMB's and hopefully box a few whites for dinner.
Lets do it, I wouldn't mind Lake Travis or Georgetown.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
track meet april 12...wont get home till 830.... 17th is taken too....sucks...

and now...sunday's report...on water just before 7. beautiful vista of pink water like glass...some potlicker was in my cove (lol) so i went across to the 2 coves directly south...some jerk named gary (name was on his floating device) had a trot line all across the entrance to the cove on the right...i know because my new spinnerbait got hung up, and i wound up lifting the entire line, with bricks attached, to rescue it. it may be legal to run trot lines, but it's not ethical to run all the way across an entrance like that. especially in a popular cove...i hate to think next time that line might get cut....
went to the wide cove around the swim beach...got exhausted throwing everything....went upriver to see my favorite spot and fished for awhile...nothing...threw wacky worm, texas rigged worm, and everything else...then 2 old potlickers in a beater jon boat followed me to a brushpile and started licking...they moved right where i was throwing a crankbait! so iwent to the right of the pile and the wind threw it into a snag. had to lift anchor. got spooled! went and got my new crank and left. big lake, but some folks just gotta get on top of you. gonna start bringiing a baseball bat. the next person who offends me in any way is gonna get it! BTW, it's a 34 inch boog powell model. i once hit one over the very high wall down the left field line 395 and onto the street! we were playing over the line at cal st long beach! anyway, no more mr. nice guy. if people are gonna be stupid in my vicinity, they're gonna pay a price! i mean it! lookout! lol

not even a nibble both days. f me....

grrrrrr.....

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Made it out Saturday morning. As I was idling across the lake in the pitch black I hit something. I took out my spot light to make sure it wasn't anything that I should worry about. It was a log 10ft long and over 100lbs due to water weight. I tied it off thinking it was the only one in the lake and took it to shore. Little did I know when the sun came up it was alot worse than that one log. I was able to boat a few more fish than I normally do. I had more fish following the lure all the way to the boat and missed a couple right at the boat. That Barry White really was working. I should have known my co-workers were going to bail on me and should have just gone out with Bill. He is fun to fish with.

The fish were all caught in less than 8fow on blue spinner, green and white squarebill, and that weightless wackyrig. I thought that wackyrig was a joke. Good times. IMG_6351.jpg IMG_2138.jpg

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
yeah, that barry white really turns 'em on! that cove we scouted was completely inundated with debris. what a mess. water still dingy, but 70% of the debris was on shore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Caught 1 white bass(13-14") on a 5" chartreuse senko last Friday morning in Gtown. Hiked all the way to the mouth of the lake from Tejas and made my own trail out to a big rock next to the water. Gonna try that area in the yak this week in the evening.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts