Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have trouble making decisions lately. Must come with age. I spent a lot of time yesterday getting tackle ready to go Belton today but last night I told myself I always think it's fall before it is and decided not to go. Slept in and had coffee and breakfast. Went outside and it was sooo nice I decided to go. Started fishing at 10:20. When I was preparing my tackle I realized I hadn't fished the original Ned Rig in a while. I started fishing the Ned in January of 2015 when I lived in Mt. Pleasant. I didn't know what it was...just saw it mentioned somewhere. Long story short the first day I fished it on Lake Welsh I caught 41 fish on a 1/16th weedless (cable weed guard) and half of a Zman Zinkerz in PB&J. I bought the heads from a guy in Missouri. I bought a mold and modified it to accept a weed guard. They worked great. Since there were no weedless Ned heads on the market anywhere I sold them on ebay to customers in 31 states. Today I started with the 2.8 swim because it was the best bait last time. Fished it quite a while for no hits. Second bait I tried was the Ned Rig on my 1/16th weedless head with a 2.75" TRD in PB&J. I caught three in about 10 minutes. I lost the first rig so tied on the same but with a red head. It really worked too...maybe better? I fished until 3:20 and clicked one bluegill, four drum, and 19 bass. I found that steep banks weren't the best. Flatter banks with the boat in 13 -15 ft were the best. I had several fish on that I didn't get (or count). Water was still 82-83º. There is feeding on top a lot of places but mostly singles. Saw some sand bass on top but they didn't stay up long.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Excellent report, Longhorn! I’ve been thinking its time for me to start throwing these BPS “Bed Jig” stand up heads along with the 3.5” Stik-O. I’m not going down the rabbit hole of making my own lures, but I’m very glad to hear it is working for you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts