Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up early and started fishing at 7:15. Didn't help this time. No takers on the Yellow Magic. Usual places we fish had no baitfish and no fish. I don't have much experience fishing in Texas in July. Seems there has been a baitfish migration since I was there last and most of the fish were probably behind us. She caught 2 on the 2.8, I caught one on a Ned Rig. Tried Neko rig and dropshot. Quit at 10:00. Water was 82º.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Thanks for the report. The best fishing in July in Texas is fishing offshore for pelagics. I think the bass are looking for shade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must admit I had to look up that word. You are correct, "Pelagic fish are neither close to the bottom nor near the shore". I think that's where a lot of fish are now. I wouldn't know how to fish for those with lures. I've never had any luck fishing for suspended fish except for deadsticking in the winter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Last time I fished, I found them still somewhat shallow, less than 10 feet. Made no sense to me, but I caught 5. Not a fan of the deeper fishing, but going to have to adapt.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
What I meant was that the best all-species fishing in Texas in July is thirty nautical miles off the coast out in the Gulf of Mexico. The most famous of the Texas saltwater pelagics is the King Mackeral.

I suppose you could call summer largemouth “pelagic“ when they disappear from the bank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts